[comp.emacs] Why no load display by loadst?

erik@echocen.UUCP (09/13/90)

I have built and installed emacs version 18.52.15.  I have time.el
loaded in my .emacs file, and the time dutifully comes up in the
status line.  I have also built this version of emacs for the Sun 3's
and Sun 4's at work.  They have the same .emacs file, and also load
time.el and loadst program.  On the Suns, I get the time and the
system load factor.  On the Xenix 2.3.2 system at home, I only get the
time.  I'd like to get the system load factor also, but don't
understand why it does not display.  What am I doing wrong?  Is there
a reson for this?

	Thanks for the help..
			Erik.  B-{)
--
Erik Ohrnberger             Work: sharkey!edsews!edstip!ohrnb
2620 Woodchase Court        Home: sharkey!eds.com!echocen!erik

de5@de5.ctd.ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (09/14/90)

In article <9009130442.AA04050@uunet.uu.net>, erik@echocen.UUCP writes:
>I have built and installed emacs version 18.52.15.  I have time.el
>loaded in my .emacs file, and the time dutifully comes up in the
>status line.
> I'd like to get the system load factor also, but don't
>understand why it does not display.  What am I doing wrong?  Is there
>a reson for this?

This should be added to the Frequently Asked Questions posting, if
it's not already there.  The problem is most likely that loadst can't
read /dev/kmem.  The usual fix is to make loadst setgid and chgrp'd to
the group that /dev/kmem belongs to.  Make sure that /dev/kmem is
group readable, of course.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)		These are my opinions.
Martin Marietta Energy Systems