[comp.emacs] ISPELL doesn't work in GNU Emacs 18.55

fritzz@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (fritz zaucker) (09/07/90)

Hi,

I have ISPELL ver. 2.0.01 (May 87). It runs fine as standalone program.
If I run it with ispell.el from within GNU Emacs 18.55 (on a 386/ix ver.2.02
PC) it doesn't. Symptom:
a ispell process is started, the status line tells me, that the word in
question is looked up. After that, noting happens anymore.
If I do a   kill ispell-process-id from another xterm   Emacs comes back,
tells me, that the spelling is right or even suggests other words. Somehow
the ispell process doesn't seem to stop executing or the relevant ispell.el
function doesn't notice it, or what so ever.

Any help?

Thanks

Fritz Zaucker

jpff@maths.bath.ac.uk (09/10/90)

   I have ISPELL ver. 2.0.01 (May 87). It runs fine as standalone program.
   If I run it with ispell.el from within GNU Emacs 18.55 (on a 386/ix ver.2.02
   PC) it doesn't.

I too have trouble with ispell version, but version 2.0.02 which is OK
interactively, but I want to use it from emacs (is there any other
way?).  It seems very confused about what consistutes a word, and
looks up whole lines. and hangs.  I was happy with the previous
version I had.  I am using an HLH Orion1/05 (Intergraph Clipper
processor).
==John

chapp@hprpcd.HP.COM (Bill Chapp) (09/14/90)

/ :comp.emacs / jpff@maths.bath.ac.uk /  6:10 am  Sep 10, 1990 /
>I too have trouble with ispell version, but version 2.0.02 which is OK
>interactively, but I want to use it from emacs (is there any other
>way?).  It seems very confused about what consistutes a word, and
>looks up whole lines. and hangs.  I was happy with the previous
>version I had.  I am using an HLH Orion1/05 (Intergraph Clipper
>processor).

I seem to have the same problem with ispell 2.1.0 and GNU Emacs 18.55 running
on an HP375 workstation.

-Bill

johnd@Stardent.COM (John R. Dennis @stardent) (09/15/90)

In article <9009102325.AB04499@life.ai.mit.edu> jpff@maths.bath.ac.uk writes:

>   I have ISPELL ver. 2.0.01 (May 87). It runs fine as standalone program.
>   If I run it with ispell.el from within GNU Emacs 18.55 (on a 386/ix ver.2.02
>   PC) it doesn't.
>
>I too have trouble with ispell version, but version 2.0.02 which is OK
>interactively, but I want to use it from emacs (is there any other
>way?).  It seems very confused about what consistutes a word, and
>looks up whole lines. and hangs.  I was happy with the previous
>version I had.  I am using an HLH Orion1/05 (Intergraph Clipper
>processor).

The problem with it looking up long lines is probably due to the filter it is
calling to translate a region into a word followed by a newline (i.e. one word
per line). It calls a unix utility to do this, the name of which is stored in
the variable ispell-filter-hook and it passes arguments to it which are stored
in the variable ispell-filter-hook-args. The standard program is tr and I
discovered that I needed to change the args to tr (so that it translates
whitespace into a newline character). I found the following worked for us.

(defvar ispell-filter-hook-args '("-cs" "[A-Z][a-z]" "[\\012*]")
  "*Argument LIST to pass to ispell-filter-hook")

I don't have an answer why your program hangs though.

--
John Dennis
E     Mail: johnd@Stardent.COM | {uunet,convex,decvax}!stardent!johnd