[comp.emacs] GNU emacs and X windows

jtn@POTOMAC.ADS.COM ("John T. Nelson") (06/10/88)

I'm trying to compile GNU Emacs to use X windows but I'm getting
errors from the C compiler that boil down to several X include files
not being in the directories expected.  Problem is that several files
(like Xkeyboard.h) don't even exist in X V11.2.

Has anyone else encountered these problems and found a solution?

Please reply by ARPA-mail.  Thanks.

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com
1500 Wilson Blvd #512; Arlington, VA 22209-2401		(703) 243-1611

Eunuchs... Liver Free of Dye!

chapp@hprpcd.HP.COM (Bill Chapp) (09/14/90)

>GNU emacs is refusing to acknowlege my .Xdefaults entries.  the
>entries look like this:
>

>emacs.Cursor:				black
>emacs.Forground:			SkyBlue

I don't think emacs will accept the Cursor color as a parameter in .Xdefaults.
The foreground one will work, just make sure to spell it with an `e' in it.
(I made this same mistake with another X application and drove myself crazy
for several hours.)

>also, is there any way to tell emacs NOT to start its own window, but to run
>in my terminal window?  I know that I could recompile the source without
>HAVE_X_WINDOWS defined, but the program is for others who want separate windows.

Try using emacs -nw.

-Bill

krulwich@ils.nwu.edu (Bruce Krulwich) (09/17/90)

In article <15290002@hprpcd.HP.COM>, chapp@hprpcd (Bill Chapp) writes:
>>emacs.Cursor:				black
>
>I don't think emacs will accept the Cursor color as a parameter in .Xdefaults.

Try the parameter "emacs*cursorColor"

Bruce Krulwich
krulwich@ils.nwu.edu

mcoffey@aix.aix.kingston.ibm.com (Michael Coffey) (09/19/90)

In article <15290002@hprpcd.HP.COM>, chapp@hprpcd.HP.COM (Bill Chapp) writes:
> >GNU emacs is refusing to acknowlege my .Xdefaults entries.  the
> >entries look like this:
> >
> >emacs.Cursor:			black
> >emacs.Forground:			SkyBlue
>
> I don't think emacs will accept the Cursor color as a parameter in
.Xdefaults.
> The foreground one will work, just make sure to spell it with an `e' in it.
> (I made this same mistake with another X application and drove myself crazy
> for several hours.)
>
> -Bill
The emacs cursor color works fine in my .Xdefaults file, however the
format of my entries look like this:
emacs*cursorColor:      Black
emacs*foreground:       Black
emacs*pointerColor:     Turquoise

I would try cursorColor in place of Cursor as you have it in your
.xdefaults entry and see if this works.

Hope this helps...
...Mike

--
Michael Coffey: AIX Kernel Development       All the ways of a man are clean in
     VNET: mcoffey@kgnaix                    his own sight, but the Lord weighs