[comp.emacs] how do I change my font size for emacs using X windows

barshay@Stars.Reston.Unisys.COM ( Unisys) (09/13/90)

As the subject suggests ....  I thought I just had to change my .Xdefaults file
but I can't figure it out.

Thank, Jane

(I'll think about it tomorrow ....)

wittig@gmdzi.gmd.de (Georg Wittig) (09/18/90)

barshay@Stars.Reston.Unisys.COM ( Unisys) writes:

>As the subject suggests ....  I thought I just had to change my .Xdefaults file
>but I can't figure it out.

>Thank, Jane

>(I'll think about it tomorrow ....)

	Try	M-x x-set-font
	or use	emacs.BodyFont:my_favorit_one
--
Georg Wittig  GMD-Z1.IT	| wittig@gmdzi.gmd.de	| "Freedom's just another word
P.O. Box 1240		| wittig@zi.gmd.dbp.de	|  for nothing left to lose"

joseph@cs.albany.edu (Jody Richardson) (09/20/90)

In article <1091@aviary.Stars.Reston.Unisys.COM> barshay@Stars.Reston.Unisys.COM ( Unisys) writes:

> As the subject suggests ....  I thought I just had to change my .Xdefaults file
> but I can't figure it out.

What exactly did you try in your .Xdefaults file?  Also, I'm
presuming that you reloaded the defaults or restarted X after you
made and saved any changes to .Xdefaults.

The line 'emacs*BodyFont:<your font here>' in the .Xdefaults file
should work. (Don't include the angle brackets, of course.)
--

Jody Richardson
joseph@cs.albany.edu

joseph@cs.albany.edu (Jody Richardson) (09/21/90)

In the process of trying to do this for myself I have discovered
that 'emacs*Font:<your font here>' works for me.  NOT
'emacs*BodyFont:<your font here>' as I previously suggested.  I
do not know why.  'BodyFont' is the variable that is listed in
our documentation (man pages).
--

Jody Richardson
joseph@cs.albany.edu

jbw@bucsf.bu.edu (Joseph Wells) (09/22/90)

In article <JOSEPH.90Sep20165849@odin.albany.edu> joseph@cs.albany.edu (Jody Richardson) writes:
   In the process of trying to do this for myself I have discovered
   that 'emacs*Font:<your font here>' works for me.  NOT
   'emacs*BodyFont:<your font here>' as I previously suggested.  I
   do not know why.  'BodyFont' is the variable that is listed in
   our documentation (man pages).

The man page for GNU Emacs (etc/emacs.1) is kind of old and apparently
hasn't been updated for a couple of years.  See the "Frequently Asked
Questions" posting in the gnu.emacs newsgroup (info-gnu-emacs mailing
list) for complete details on what X resources GNU Emacs uses.

--
Joe Wells <jbw@bu.edu>