gumby@Cygnus.COM (David Vinayak Wallace) (09/23/90)

   Date: 22 Sep 90 11:06:00 GMT
   From: lwv27@CAS.BITNET

   I was wondering if there exists a package which would convert so many
   of these nice emacs packages into a format which would be usable within
   Unipress EMACS?

Why not just run GNU Emacs and be done with it?  Is there some
environment which runs Unipress Emacs but not GNU Emacs?  Or perhaps
some feature of Unipress Emacs which you would miss?

crm@duke.cs.duke.edu (Charlie Martin) (09/24/90)

In article <GUMBY.90Sep22143756@Cygnus.COM> gumby@Cygnus.COM (David Vinayak Wallace) writes:
>Why not just run GNU Emacs and be done with it?  Is there some
>environment which runs Unipress Emacs but not GNU Emacs?

Yes, MS-DOS.  If such a thing exists (GNU->Unipress conversion) I'd like
to hear about it as well.

--
Charlie Martin (...!mcnc!duke!crm, crm@summanulla.mc.duke.edu)
O: NBSR/One University Place/Suite 250/Durham, NC  27707/919-490-1966

gamin@ireq-robot.hydro.qc.ca (Martin Boyer) (09/25/90)

In article <9009221103.AA28504@lilac.berkeley.edu> lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:
>I was wondering if there exists a package which would convert so many
>of these nice emacs packages into a format which would be usable within
>Unipress EMACS?

I really doubt it.  I can be done by hand, if you know what you're
doing and are willing to spend some time on it.

I used UniPress for over 4 years and I switched to GNU about a yeaar
ago.   Back then, I ported a few packages written for GNU (LISP modes,
mainly) and I quickly realized that UniPress's mlisp was not as
flexible as GNU's elisp.

The difference actually lies in the 'kernel'; the set of basic
functions provided by the editor.  While UniPress provides almost as
much in that area as GNU, the functions are not as customizable (i.e.
don't take as wide a range of parameters).  If you want a clear
example, the regular expression search algorithm in UniPress is
incomplete; it can't deal with nested alternatives (the \| operator).
I really needed something better, so I ported the GNU code to
UniPress.  I took me a month, but I learned a lot...

I still believe that UniPress has a better looking user interface
though.

--
Martin Boyer                            mboyer@ireq-robot.hydro.qc.ca
Institut de recherche d'Hydro-Quebec    mboyer@ireq-robot.uucp