[comp.emacs] Larry Wall's patch program

hrothgar@RSCH.OCLC.ORG (Roger H. Thompson) (09/28/90)

I'm trying to bring our version of GNU emacs, 18.52, up to the latest
version, 18.55, by using diff files.  info-gnu-request indicated that
there is a patch program by Larry Wall located in the archives of
comp.sources.unix.  How can i get this? ftp? email? and are there
instructions ?

Roger Thompson
Head, Information Retrieval Research Lab
Office of Research

US MAIL:	MC-410
		OCLC, Online Computer Library Center
		6565 Frantz Road
		Dublin, OH 43017-0702

DESK:		614-761-5023
FAX:		614-764-6096
INTERNET:	hrothgar@rsch.oclc.org

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (10/04/90)

RHT> there is a patch program by Larry Wall located in the archives of
RHT> comp.sources.unix.  How can i get this? ftp? email? and are there
RHT> instructions ?

How to get patch-2.0.tar.Z from the archive at
	Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University:

NOTE: In the following I have assumed your mail address is john@highbrow.edu.

    Of course you must substitute your own address for this. This should be
    a valid internet or uucp address. For bitnet users name@host.BITNET
    usually works.

by FTP: (please restrict access to weekends or evening/night (i.e. between
about 20.00 and 0900 UTC).

    ftp archive.cs.ruu.nl [131.211.80.5]
    user name: anonymous or ftp
    password: your own email address (e.g. john@highbrow.edu)
    cd /pub
    don't forget to set binary mode if the file is a tar/arc/zoo archive,
    compressed or in any other way contains binary data.
    get UNIX/patch-2.0.tar.Z

by mail-server:

send the following message to
mail-server@cs.ruu.nl (or uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ruuinf):

    begin
    path john@highbrow.edu
    send UNIX/patch-2.0.tar.Z
    end

The path command can be deleted if we receive a valid from address in your
message. If this is the first time you use our mail server, we suggest you
first issue the request:
    send HELP
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.