[comp.emacs] Disabling Creation of GNU Emacs X Window

rullman@sequent.uucp (Brad Rullman) (10/11/90)

Forgive me if this has already been asked a billion times, but could
some kind soul tell me what to put in my .emacs file to prevent GNU
emacs from creating a new X window when invoked?  Thanks ...

Brad Rullman
rullman@sequent.com

steveh@moosehead.mips.com (Stephen C. Hill) (10/11/90)

In article <43935@sequent.UUCP>, rullman@sequent.uucp (Brad Rullman) writes:
> Forgive me if this has already been asked a billion times, but could
> some kind soul tell me what to put in my .emacs file to prevent GNU
> emacs from creating a new X window when invoked?  Thanks ...

I had a similar problem, but it was that SOMETIMES a new window would
appear, and sometimes not.  Eventually, I discovered that I would re-use
the current window if that window didn't have the DISPLAY variable set
in my environment.

Steve

--
Stephen C. Hill, CDP
{ames,prls,pyramid,decwrl}!mips!steveh  or  steveh@mips.com

Time is Nature's method of keeping us from bumping into ourselves.

adnan@sgtech.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) (10/12/90)

From article <42052@mips.mips.COM>, by steveh@moosehead.mips.com (Stephen C. Hill):
> In article <43935@sequent.UUCP>, rullman@sequent.uucp (Brad Rullman) writes:
>> Forgive me if this has already been asked a billion times, but could
>> some kind soul tell me what to put in my .emacs file to prevent GNU
>> emacs from creating a new X window when invoked?  Thanks ...
>
> I had a similar problem, but it was that SOMETIMES a new window would
> appear, and sometimes not.  Eventually, I discovered that I would re-use
> the current window if that window didn't have the DISPLAY variable set
> in my environment.

Use the -nw option.  Note, it must be first on the command line.
Form the GNU Emacs man page:

-nw Tells Emacs not to use its special interface to X.  If you use
this switch when invoking Emacs from an xterm window, display is done
in the xterm window.  This must be the first option specified in the
command line.
--
Adnan Yaqub (adnan@sgtech.uucp)
Star Gate Technologies