[comp.emacs] emacs and *.el, *.elc files?

pke@public.btr.com (Peter Espen pke@btr.com) (10/12/90)

	I have a complete source code distribution of emacs 18.55
that I am trying to compile and build. I have completed the compiling
and building without errors, but I have some questions about the lisp
files in emacs/lisp.  The distribution that I have has both *.el and
*.elc files in the lisp directory.  A "make install.sysv" loads some of
the .elc files during the make. How can I be sure that these *.elc files
have been correctly  compiled for my machine. Is there a way to recompile
the *.el files so that they run correctly on my system?  I'm very new to
emacs, so please excuse me if I don't have a correct understanding of
how things are working yet.  Should I let 'make' load the .elc files
during 'make install.sysv' and then recompile the *.el files and reload
the *.elc files from within emacs?
	Any help or explanations will be greatly appreciated.

Peter Espen
pke@btr.com

pke@public.btr.com (Peter Espen pke@btr.com) (10/12/90)

        I am happy to report that I have solved the problems I was
having in getting emacs-18.55 built for AUX 2.0. I had used the
patches (emacs-18.55.aux.diffs) from apple.com and gcc to compile
the sources from the full emacs sources distribution that we have
on our X11R4 and GNU cd-rom (sold by 'Young Minds, Inc.') at work.

I was getting all kinds of errors and strange behavior when running
my build of emacs. It turns out that all the *.elc files in the
emacs/lisp directory of the emacs distribution had been compiled
by emacs on a SUN workstation and were failing when executing under
AUX 2.0. I used my emacs to re-compile the *.el files with a
'emacs -batch -f batch-byte-compile *.el' . This produces a new
set of compiled *.elc files. I then went back and did 'make' again
except now the new *.elc files were loaded during the make.

Everything is now working great!!

Thanks to everyone for bearing with me!

Peter Espen
pke@btr.com

tiemann@arkesden.eng.sun.com (Michael Tiemann) (10/19/90)

   From: sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey)
   Sender: gnulists@ai.mit.edu
   Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.announce
   Date: 14 Oct 90 16:33:08 GMT

   jbw@BUCSF.BU.EDU (Joe Wells) writes:

   |Folks, please don't send any help to people trying to use GNU programs on
   |Apple machines.  Helping companies like Apple that are trying to destroy
   |the freedom to program just defeats the purpose of the Free Software
   |Foundation.

   What a callous attitude. People usually have _no_choice_ over what
   hardware they use.

This is bullshit!  With our current technology, people have a choice
over the color of their hair, the color of their eyes, and whether to
vote Democratic or Republican.  Only children lack choice in this
society.

   Sean

   --
   ***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
   ***  rec.pyrotechnics: "Blow up or shut up."

Michael