[comp.emacs] ange-ftp : problem

pai@OPAL.SYSTEMSX.CS.YALE.EDU (A. Satish Pai) (10/16/90)

I have a small problem using the recently-posted ange-ftp package.
If I load the ange-ftp.el file, then afterwards on many occasions
I get an error message,
    "Autoloading failed to define function ange-ftp-real-delete-file".
This happens, for example, when I try to quit out of GNUS newsgroup mode.

What should I do to avoid this? I am not able to pinpoint exactly at
what point this happens, and I don't see why this should be happening
at all, unless ange-ftp is somehow causing references to standard functions
like delete-file to call corresponding ange-ftp functions.

-Satish

Internet: pai@cs.yale.edu                              | A. Satish Pai
UUCP:     ...!{uunet,harvard,decvax,ucbvax}!yale!pai   |
Bitnet:   pai@yalecs                                   | (203) 432-1286 [Off.]
Mail:     Box 2158, Yale Station, New Haven, CT 06520  | (203) 436-2061 [Res.]

ange@HPLB.HPL.HP.COM (Andy Norman) (10/22/90)

Recently pai@opal.systemsx.cs.yale.edu (A. Satish Pai) wrote:

> I have a small problem using the recently-posted ange-ftp package.
> If I load the ange-ftp.el file, then afterwards on many occasions
> I get an error message,
>     "Autoloading failed to define function ange-ftp-real-delete-file".
> This happens, for example, when I try to quit out of GNUS newsgroup mode.

> What should I do to avoid this?

Simple.  ange-ftp should not be autoloaded.  You just 'require' it before you
need it.  Personally I just leave it loaded.

					-- ange --

					ange@hplb.hpl.hp.com