[comp.emacs] emacs keymapping

kabacoff@novavax.UUCP (Robert I. Kabacoff Ph.D.) (11/02/90)

I need an alternate key sequence for control-S and control-Q.

Reason:  I am working in an ethernet environment with terminal
servers that depend on XON/XOFF flow control to be enabled
(this is a must for other reasons).  As things stand now
when I use the CONTROL-S to save a file, the terminal
locks up.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Rob Kabacoff
Robert I. Kabacoff, Ph.D.     |UUCP:
School of Psychology          |...{gatech!uflorida,ucf-cs}!novavax!kabacoff
Nova University, College Ave. |Internet: novavax!kabacoff@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33314      |Phone: (305) 475-7006

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (11/02/90)

Robert> I need an alternate key sequence for control-S and control-Q.

Well, here... and also see the file lisp/term/bobcat.el ...

From: Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM
Subject: Control-S Control-Q (X-on/X-off flow control protocol) problems
Date: 10/1990

On many system/network/terminal combinations there is difficulty
passing the characters Control-S and Control-Q, as they are used by
the computer/terminal to tell one side to start/stop sending
characters to prevent buffer overflow.

Early on I decided to always use Control-] for Control-S, and
Control-\ for Control-Q (set in my ".emacs" file), (i.e.  I hit a
Control-] and GNU Emacs interprets it at a low level internally as a
Control-S, I don't hit Control-S on my keyboard anymore...  same with
the Control-\ Control-Q pair) here's how:

(setq term-setup-hook
      (function (lambda ()

	;always use C-] for C-s, and C-\ for C-q for uniformity, even though
	;some terminals and baud rates do not have a "flow control" problem
	(set-input-mode nil t)
	(let ((the-table (make-string 128 0)) (i 0))
	  (while (< i 128)
	    (aset the-table i i)
	    (setq i (1+ i)))
	  (aset the-table ?\C-\\ ?\C-q)
	  (aset the-table ?\C-\] ?\C-s)
	  (setq keyboard-translate-table the-table))
	(message "Using C-] for C-s, and C-\\ for C-q")
      )))

Though I liked control-] as a remap choice because it is usually in
the same spot on most keyboards, I am having second thoughts, as it is
often the "telnet" program's default enter-command-mode character
(telnet is one remote login method).  And as of this writing, telnet
doesn't read a ".telnetrc" file to allow changes at start-up time...
--
Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM  Naperville IL USA  +1 708-979-6364