[comp.emacs] Elementary Question: Xon/Xoff help!

c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Walter C3arlip) (11/21/90)

Here are two elementary questions:

[1] Does this group have a "frequently asked questions" list?  Is it
ftpable from anywhere?

[2] Is there a *standard* way around the ^s/^q problem on systems that use
that barbaric hardware flow control?

When I arrived here the systems did not even *have* emacs.  I installed it
(we are running Berkeley 4.3 UNIX soon to be upgraded to "reno") and some
kind of terminal concentrator we run through eats ^s/^q.  I would like to
find some standard solution to this problem, e.g., I would like to
make available a new keyboard mapping for everyone here (so we don't all
make ad-hoc changes) and would prefer some kind of standard mapping.

Another modem concentrator we are using also eats ^y -- but that's probably
unusual!

I know that [2] is probably on [1] (if it exists), so please excuse me for
taking up bandwidth!

Thanks!

--Walter
Walter Carlip 		        	**** carlip@ace.cs.ohiou.edu ****
(the "3" is invisible)                   **** c3ar@finite.chi.il.us ****

tom@bears.ucsb.edu (Tom Weinstein) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov20.165944.4503@midway.uchicago.edu>, c3ar@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Walter C3arlip) writes:

> [1] Does this group have a "frequently asked questions" list?  Is it
> ftpable from anywhere?

I don't know.

> [2] Is there a *standard* way around the ^s/^q problem on systems that use
> that barbaric hardware flow control?

Yes.  Try this:

      (setq keyboard-translate-table (make-string 128 0))
      (let ((i 0))
	(while (< i 128)
	  (aset keyboard-translate-table i i)
	  (setq i (1+ i))))
      (aset keyboard-translate-table ?\^^ ?\^q)
      (aset keyboard-translate-table ?\^\\ ?\^s)

And if your terminal sends C-s and C-q instead of just trapping them,
include this:

      (set-input-mode nil t)
--
He is Bob...eager for fun.         | Tom Weinstein  tom@bears.ucsb.edu