[comp.emacs] portable setup files

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) (11/21/90)

Hi-ho,

I have constructed new setup files for my MicrEmacs 10e8+a

It took considerable time and trial to get it JUST right,
the way I like it.....so now, I am about to change to UNIX.

Can I use this set up in UNIX emacs??? (I have never used UNIX
emacs before).

Shawn E. Thompson "..my sig file was so long, I'm not even allowed a quote..."
v087mxgb@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu | set@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu
University @ Buffalo|Graduate School of Mechanical Engineering
CAD Engineering|Leica, Inc.|PO Box 123|Buffalo, NY 14240-0123|(716)891-3375

leilabd@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Leila Burrell-Davis) (11/24/90)

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) writes:
> I have constructed new setup files for my MicrEmacs 10e8+a
>
> It took considerable time and trial to get it JUST right,
> the way I like it.....so now, I am about to change to UNIX.
>
> Can I use this set up in UNIX emacs??? (I have never used UNIX
> emacs before).

If you are going to be using the same version of MicroEmacs on your
Unix machine, there shouldn't be many problems. The default startup
file should be called .emacsrc and the most likely areas of
difference are the function keys.

If you are going to be using a different version of MicroEmacs, you
may run into more problems. I have spent a lot of time recently
working on a setup file which will behave in the same way for
versions 3.9e/3.10/3.10e8 under any of MS-DOS, Unix and VMS - the
function keys were the worst but not the only problem.

It's possible, of course, that your Unix machine is running a
completely different Emacs, such as GNU, in which case you'll have
to start from scratch.
--
Leila Burrell-Davis, Computing Service, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
Tel:   +44 273 678390              Fax:   +44 273 678470