[comp.emacs] Installation problems on DECStation 3100

phil@waikato.ac.nz (11/23/90)

This is probably pretty trivial, but I haven't found any trace of a FAQ file,
and I'm new to fiddling with make files, etc:

I followed the instructions with GNU Emacs 18.55 to build it by modifying the
Makefile supplied, but get the following error, which isn't covered in the
PROBLEMS file.

This is being done on a DECStation 3100, running Worksystem 2.1 (I'm not sure
which version of Ultrix that means we have, but I think it's 3.1).

(beginning of transcript)

% make
cd etc; make  all
cd src; make  all
make    -f xmakefile  all
cc -c -O -Demacs     crt0.c
ccom: Error: crt0.c, line 276: syntax error
      asm("     .text           ");
      ----^
ccom: Error: crt0.c, line 277: syntax error
      asm("     .globl start    ");
      ----^
ccom: Error: crt0.c, line 278: syntax error
      asm("     start:          ");
      ----^
(ccom): crt0.c, line 278: cannot recover from earlier errors: goodbye!
      asm("     start:          ");
      ----------------------------^
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

(end of transcript)

Any help appreciated, either here or via e-mail.
--
Phil Etheridge (phil@waikato.ac.nz)                 /\  /\   -+-,--, .--, ._
Computer Services/Mathematics & Statistics         /  \/  \  / /--< /--  /

phil@waikato.ac.nz (11/27/90)

In article <2337.274ce3f1@waikato.ac.nz>, phil@waikato.ac.nz writes:
> [... details of problems building GNU Emacs 18.55 deleted]
>
> This is being done on a DECStation 3100, running Worksystem 2.1 (I'm not sure
> which version of Ultrix that means we have, but I think it's 3.1).

Thanks to those who replied.  The fix was simple: read the /etc/MACHINES file
carefully :-).  The relavent line for the DECStations is:

Pmax, Mips from DEC (m-pmax.h; s-bsd4-3.h)

in case anyone was wondering.