[comp.emacs] Help request from Apple Special Projects

rms@AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Stallman) (11/13/90)

Today someone from Apple asked for help.  I think it's likely that his
Sun 4 is located at Apple and is being used for Apple business.

I don't think that a look and feel plaintiff like Apple deserves our
help.  If you agree, I suggest you disregard his message.

For more information on the issues behind the boycott of Lotus and
Apple, contact league@prep.ai.mit.edu.

slavitch@spock (Michael Slavitch) (11/13/90)

In article <9011122252.AA21464@mole.ai.mit.edu> rms@AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Stallman) writes:

| Today someone from Apple asked for help.  I think it's likely that his
| Sun 4 is located at Apple and is being used for Apple business.
|
| I don't think that a look and feel plaintiff like Apple deserves our
| help.  If you agree, I suggest you disregard his message.

You are not nessesarily helping Apple by helping some grunt software
developer get his job done in less than the 60 hour week demanded by the
management there. You are helping him get his work done so he can get home
once in a while. This boycott is turning into a cold war against people, not
corporations. And it is becoming annoying. He probably isn't too happy about
Apple policy, but he still has to pay the rent/mortgage/grocery bill.

If you REALLY want to piss Apple off, don't preach to the converted. Find
some born-in-a-suit type to press the flesh with media types such as the
news hounds at the major networks or CNN. A hungry news media getting bored
with the Persian Gulf Cookout may see you thing as a cause such as the Big
Green thing a while ago. The only reason Big Green lost is because the "Pro"
movement was unrelentant and noncompromising.

Give them the "innovator eats its young" thing and media types will lap it
it up, but only if it in terms that they understand. (THIS IS A COMPUTER.
THIS IS A LAWYER. THE LAWYER WANTS TO TELL YOU WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH YOUR
COMPUTER.) Make it a civil liberty thing and hope to get the ACLU involved.
Show these slickers a bunch of bearded 40 year olds in t-shirts and they'll
think you're nothing but a bunch of 'communists' with an ax to grind.
They're a simple lot, but they are powerful. Look at your election and think
about how it was won.

| For more information on the issues behind the boycott of Lotus and
| Apple, contact league@prep.ai.mit.edu.

Don't tell me, tell CBS!

--
Michael Slavitch, aka:			Zvpunry Fynivgpu, nxn:
Michael_Slavitch@Mitel.COM              Zvpunry_Fynivgpu@Zvgry.PBZ

pld@whopper.lcs.mit.edu (Peter L. DeWolf) (11/15/90)

*******From The GNU Manifesto, Copyright (C) 1985 Richard M. Stallman
Since I do not like the consequences that result if everyone hoards
information, I am required to consider it wrong for one to do so.

*******
From: rms@AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Stallman)
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help,comp.emacs
Subject: Help request from Apple Special Projects
Date: 12 Nov 90 22:52:32 GMT

Today someone from Apple asked for help.  I think it's likely that his
Sun 4 is located at Apple and is being used for Apple business.

I don't think that a look and feel plaintiff like Apple deserves our
help.  If you agree, I suggest you disregard his message.

For more information on the issues behind the boycott of Lotus and
Apple, contact league@prep.ai.mit.edu.
*******

Richard Stallman: this is your latest public call for information
hoarding.  Apparently, if They hoard information from Us, it is Evil,
but if We hoard information from Them, it is Politically Justified and
that is OK.  Re-read what YOU wrote in the GNU Manifesto.  Cease and
Desist from these public calls requesting information hoarding or
accept the label of Hypocrite.
--

   Peter L. DeWolf
   Motorola Cambridge Research Center

pauld@scenic.wa.com (Paul Barton-Davis) (11/24/90)

I had the feeling that most of the GNU lists were now moderated. If
the FSF does want Apple employees to obtain help from other folk,
surely a simpler way of doing it would be to filter all such requests
"at source". I agree with the policy of excluding Apple, and would tend
to extend it to other hoarders.

Paul Barton-Davis

tower@AI.MIT.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (11/25/90)

   Date: Fri, 23 Nov 90 09:21:14 PST
   From: pauld@scenic.wa.com (Paul Barton-Davis)

   I had the feeling that most of the GNU lists were now moderated.

Only 4 of the info-* lists (info-gnu, info-gnu, info-g++, and
info-gnu-emacs) and their gnu.*.announce equivalents are really
moderated.

-len

pauld@hpausla.aso.hp.com (Paul Doornbusch) (11/27/90)

I'm not sure that censoring the news string is what is required
either.  This is an issue for individuals to decide.

I agree with the boycott, and I have for some years boycotted Apple
for the same reasons as Rishard Stallman has outlined.  Anything that
helps Apple, in any way, gives tacit approval to their policy of
stifling competition, and it aids their efforts to do that.  I would
not work for Apple, others can make the same choice.  I also don't
believe that the television media would be interested if there is no
show of committment from the programming community.

Paul Doornbusch
LINKskill Pty Ltd                                     /        ______/
PO Box 401, Ringwood, Victoria, 3134, AUSTRALIA.     /        /
phone: Inter.+613 8711666,                          /        ____  /
                         FAX: Inter.+613 8794696 ______/INK______/kill

UNIX Mail:      pauld@hpausla.aso.hp.com
ACSnet address: pauld@hpausla.oz