[comp.emacs] Make emacs like vi.

xiaoyan@ecf.toronto.edu (Yan Xiao) (11/29/90)

I am a vi-user for two years and do love vi's many features, undo being
one of them, moving around without leaving main keyboard being the
other.  However, vi is not so fun if you need more.

Is it possible to make Emacs function partly like vi, like 'insert' mode
and 'noninsert' mode, undoing certain changes easily, moving cursors
just by pressing 'hjkl'?

xiao

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) (11/29/90)

>Is it possible to make Emacs function partly like vi, like 'insert' mode
>and 'noninsert' mode, undoing certain changes easily, moving cursors
>just by pressing 'hjkl'?

Sure!

just bind you keys to that function....I have bound a macro
which toggles insert mode on and off to my insert key.....

for cursor movement (you would probably want to hold a CTRL
key or something like that), look in your start up file,
"EMACS.RC".....you might put something like (now I forget
my EXACT syntax, but this'll give you the flavor);

bind-to-key previous line ^K   (I think its 'k'...I fergit)
bind-to-key forward-character ^L

etc......

Shawn E. Thompson "..my sig file was so long, I'm not even allowed a quote..."
v087mxgb@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu | set@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu
University @ Buffalo|Graduate School of Mechanical Engineering
CAD Engineering|Leica, Inc.|PO Box 123|Buffalo, NY 14240-0123|(716)891-3375

sane@cs.uiuc.edu (Aamod Sane) (11/29/90)

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) writes:

>>Is it possible to make Emacs function partly like vi, like 'insert' mode
>>and 'noninsert' mode, undoing certain changes easily, moving cursors
>>just by pressing 'hjkl'?

Use vip-mode. I use it all the time and have found it very good

Aamod Sane

--
sane@cs.uiuc.edu