[comp.emacs] Problems installing emacs on Sun3

tdm7695@calvin.tamu.edu (Tom Moriarty) (11/30/90)

 I am trying to install gnu emacs 18.55 on a Sun 3 with an Sun 4 operating
 system.

 When emacs attempts to load the lisp *.el files, I get the message

 "Fatal error (6). IOT trap (core dumped)"

 Is there a patch necessary for the Sun 4 operating system? If could someone
 please send me one and tell me where I can obtain one.

 --- Tom  Moriarty       tdm7695@calvin.tamu.edu
*    Thomas Moriarty                   | Internet:                     *
*    808 San Saba Dr.,                 |    tdm7695@calvin.tamu.edu   *
*    College Station, Texas USA        |    tdm7695@tamsun.tamu.edu    *

mcr@Latour.Sandelman.Ocug.On.Ca (Michael Richardson) (12/02/90)

In article <10508@helios.TAMU.EDU> tdm7695@calvin.tamu.edu (Tom Moriarty) writes:

> I am trying to install gnu emacs 18.55 on a Sun 3 with an Sun 4 operating
> system.
>
> When emacs attempts to load the lisp *.el files, I get the message
>
> "Fatal error (6). IOT trap (core dumped)"

  I too, am getting this. With Emacs 18.54.
  IF there is a patch (mail to one person having a patch bounced
for me), I would ask that it be posted, or some method of retrieving
it be posted. I suspect that there is an appropriate place
in the gnu.* hierarchy. I'm not sure, my site only start receiving
it. Thank you...
  (Imagine that, I get a Sun on my desk, and now I can't run emacs!)

--
   :!mcr!:            |    The postmaster never          |  So much mail,
   Michael Richardson |            resolves twice.       |  so few cycles.

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec2.055549.3445@Latour.Sandelman.Ocug.On.Ca> mcr@Latour.Sandelman.Ocug.On.Ca (Michael Richardson) writes:
   IF there is a patch I would ask that it be posted, or some method
   of retrieving it be posted. I suspect that there is an appropriate
   place in the gnu.* hierarchy. I'm not sure, my site only start
   receiving it.

Then you missed it when it came around on gnu.emacs.help in the FAQ
document:

From: jbw@bucsf.bu.edu (Joe Wells)
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
Subject: GNU Emacs Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (part 1 of 2)
Date: 19 Oct 90 01:38:21 GMT

44. Why does Emacs crash under SunOS 4.1?

  Under SunOS 4.1, Emacs dies with this message:

    Fatal error (6).Abort

  There is a bug in the "localtime" routine supplied with SunOS 4.1.
  A private function called by tzsetwall zeroes the byte just past an
  eight byte region it mallocs.  This corrupts GNU malloc's memory pool.

  Put "#define SYSTEM_MALLOC" in src/config.h.

  Or, for the purists:

  Put "#define SUNOS_LOCALTIME_BUG" in src/config.h and apply the following
  patch to src/malloc.c.

  (Patch by Eirik Fuller <eirik@elf.tn.cornell.edu>.)