[comp.emacs] Can't get GNUS to cancel my articles.

squash@math.ufl.edu (Jonathan King) (12/06/90)

Recently I posted an article to sci.math using _postnews.  Then I re-invoked
Gnus, read my own article, in the *Subject* buffer typed "C"
(gnus-Subject-cancel-article) and saw (and heard!) this error in the
minibuffer:

  Search failed: "^J^J"

As suggested in the GNUS documentation, I set debug-on-error to 't'
and typed "C" again.  This is what printed in the debug buffer:

Signalling: (search-failed "

")
  search-forward("\n\n")
  byte-code("AEF!
urs" get-buffer-create " *GNUS-posting*" buffer-flush-undo erase-buffer insert "Newsgroups: " "\n" "Subject: cancel " "Control: cancel " "Distribution: " "" gnus-inews-insert-headers "Canceling your article..." gnus-request-post "Canceling your article... done" "Failed to cancel your article" kill-buffer] 32)
  gnus-cancel-news()
  byte-code("AC@A\"D\nE \"" [t nil gnus-Article-buffer gnus-Subject-select-article gnus-eval-in-buffer-window gnus-cancel-news] 5)
  gnus-Subject-cancel-article()
* call-interactively(gnus-Subject-cancel-article)

I know nothing about the debugger and can't interprete the above.

Can you detect what I am doing wrong?  This is unlikely to be of
netwide interest, so you may wish to reply to
squash@math.ufl.edu

		Thank you,

		Jonathan King

ghh@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Gilbert Harman) (12/06/90)

Try putting the cursor in the *Article* window and then
cancel the article.

--
		       Gilbert Harman (ghh@clarity.princeton.edu)
                       Princeton University Cognitive Science Laboratory

glenn@huxley.huxley.bitstream.com (Glenn P. Parker) (12/06/90)

In article <SQUASH.90Dec5141101@shadrach.math.ufl.edu>,
squash@math.ufl.edu (Jonathan King) writes:
> (gnus-Subject-cancel-article) and saw (and heard!) this error in the
> minibuffer:
>
>   Search failed: "^J^J"

I recently reported this same problem in gnu.emacs.gnus.  The answer (for
me and at least one other netter) was that the .el files had been
byte-compiled with an earlier version of GNU Emacs.  Re-byte-compiling
gnuspost.el made everything work.  Naturally, I re-byte-compiled everything
else too!

-Glenn-

--
Glenn P. Parker       glenn@bitstream.com       Bitstream, Inc.
                      uunet!huxley!glenn        215 First Street

squash@math.ufl.edu (Jonathan King) (12/07/90)

GNUS signals an error when I type "C" in the *Subject* buffer
Command "C" is bound to gnus-Subject-cancel-article.  In reponse was
this posting:

   From: ghh@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Gilbert Harman)
   Date: 6 Dec 90 00:02:30 GMT

   Try putting the cursor in the *Article* window and then
   cancel the article.

   --
			  Gilbert Harman (ghh@clarity.princeton.edu)

Hmm, there doesn't seem to even be a command in *Article* mode to
cancel an article.  And running  gnus-Subject-cancel-article  causes
the same error.

Jonathan