[comp.emacs] op. not supported on socket?? :

shawn@litsun8.litsun.epfl.edu (Shawn Koppenhoefer) (12/06/90)

I have two happenstances that are not nice.
I have dired set up so that if a file is
compressed when I do an 'f' or a 'v' on it
it is uncompressed into the created buffer.
The problem is that I get a message when I do this
prepended onto the top of the uncompressed file
that says: "stty: Operation not supported on socket"

I have the same problem when I have buffers
automagically decrypted when they are encrypted.
Same message.
This is bad because if I am editing that file I
have to make sure to delete this extra garbage
at the top. Any ideas? 8^|

In article <SHAWN.90Dec6145808@litsun8.litsun.epfl.edu> shawn@litsun.epfl.ch writes:
>The problem is that I get a message when I do this
>prepended onto the top of the uncompressed file
>that says: "stty: Operation not supported on socket"

This sounds like a relative of the imfamous "not a tty" error message that
some programs randomly generate.

I presume you run uncompress in a subshell.  The problem is probably that
your .cshrc issues the "stty" command, even though its stdin and stdout
aren't connected to a terminal (they're connected to the pipe that Emacs is
using).

Your .cshrc should check $prompt before doing such commands.  $prompt is
only set in interactive shells, not in subshells that are spawned just to
invoke a single command line.  It should look something like:

if ( $?prompt ) then
	stty ...
	<other interactive-only commands>
endif