[net.unix-wizards] Dead Console

mac@tflop.UUCP (Mike Mc Namara) (04/29/86)

	Got:
550 salmi@dicome.UUCP... Host unknown

To: dicome!salmi
Subject: Re: sick console
Newsgroups: net.unix,net.unix-wizards

	So I am posting it:

	[Vax 11/78X machine running Ultrix comes up; runs first level messages,
	gets to the rc file, and no more messages appear on console.  Console
	runs fine separately.]

	I have seen this on a Data General MV8000 running their port of SYS 5.

	It seems that the system has a complex protocol, with a virtual
	system console.  The idea is that if you shut the system down from
	some tty, that becomes the virtual system console hence forth.

	On reboot, the commands to your basic system (boot microcode) get
	printed on the real console, but once the system gets to rc, it
	switches to the terminal from which you shut the system down from.

	Of course if that terminal was a dialup line, or a psuedo tty,
	then all the fun messages (UNREFERENCED FILE owner=root name=/vmunix)
	get routed off to essentially /dev/null...

	Once I identified this as the cause, and since ALL our terminals
	were connected via a develcon switch, I took this "feature" out.

	Some one must have thought it was a good idea, but in a practical
	situation it doesn't work out.  Many times you shut the machine
	down from the terminal in your office.  However, you don't what
	all console messages going there henceforth.

	Perhaps this is your problem...

--

--