[comp.emacs] help...

camis..ajb@MITRE.ARPA ("ajb@mitre") (11/13/86)

I've recently brought up GNU emacs on a SUN as well as on a VAX under
VMS/EUNICE. No matter which machine I run on, when I use a vt220 terminal
with GNU-emacs, the display is not updated correctly. For example
sometimes when doing a ^O (open line) the stuff beneath the opened line
does not scroll down correctly. My vt220's are all rev level 1.1 . When
I tried the same experiment on rev level 2.0 vt220's everything worked
just fine (vt100's also work correctly). Has anyone else had the same
experience ? Have I really discovered a firmware bug in the older vt220's ?
What can I do about it ?

Please reply to me directly as I am not on your mailing list.
My address is ajb@mitre.arpa.

			Alan J Broder
			ajb@mitre.arpa  <----- use this address !!!!
				IGNORE THE RETURN ADDRESS IN HEADER !!!!!

baxter@navajo (Ray Baxter) (02/22/88)

Can anyone tell me the best proceedure for adding another directory
to my gnuemacs load-path?  I would like to be able to add a statement
to my .emacs directory that would cause emacs to search my personal
directory of e-lisp functions.  I have tried

	(setq load-path (list load-path "~/emacs"))

which seems to give the correct value, but when I call an autoloaded
function I get the message

	Wrong type argument: stringp, ("/usr/local/emacs/lisp")

"/usr/local/emacs/lisp" was the original value of load-path.

I know that I could setenv EMACSLOADPATH "/usr/local/emacs/lisp ~/emacs",
I was just hoping for a more general solution because there are other
variables which I would like to extend.

While on the subject, can anyone describe the various data types used
in e-lisp?  Or better yet refer me to a printed or on-line source of
information.

Thank you in advance.
--

wombat@ccvaxa.UUCP (02/24/88)

This works:

(setq isV17 (if (string= (substring emacs-version 0 2) "17") 'isV17))
;; A load-path that includes the locations of custom files.
(if isV17
    (setq load-path
	  (cons nil
		(cons "/usr/local/lib/gnuemacs/gould-custom/"
		      (cdr load-path))))
  (setq load-path
	(append
	 (list "/usr/local/lib/newmacs/gould-custom"
	       "/usr/local/lib/newmacs/lisp")
	 load-path))

cantrell@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Keith Cantrell) (09/17/88)

I received my gnu-emacs version 18.48 from the Apollo users group (ADUS)
and was wandering if there is any easy way to generate a hard copy
of the help files?  They seem to all be here, in thier raw form, but it
is clumsy to go through the on-line help.

keith

Keith Cantrell

USMAIL:                       EMAIL:
2100 Sonata Ln                cantrell@killer.DALLAS.TX.US
Carrollton Tx 75007

Phones:  hm: 214-492-1088     wk: 214-234-3340

geoff@wrswrs.UUCP (Geoff Espin) (05/16/89)

I'm using GNU 18.54 on a Sun 3/60 with SunOS 4.0.1.
When scrolling thru a file the bottom mode line scrolls
up the screen then back to the bottom.  I'm gnu to emacs
so don't know what variables should be set to fix this.
One other user here on a Sun 3/E doesn't have this problem?

Geoff Espin (sun!wrs!geoff)

--

Geoff Espin		sun!wrs!geoff	(415)428-2623
1351 Ocean Avenue	Emeryville	CA 94608

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (05/16/89)

In article <639@wrs.UUCP>, geoff@wrswrs (Geoff Espin) writes:
>I'm using GNU 18.54 on a Sun 3/60 with SunOS 4.0.1.
>When scrolling thru a file the bottom mode line scrolls
>up the screen then back to the bottom.  I'm gnu to emacs
>so don't know what variables should be set to fix this.
>One other user here on a Sun 3/E doesn't have this problem?

Check out the file $EMACS/etc/SUN-SUPPORT for hints on how to improve
your sun termcap.  This may explain your buddy's Sun's behavior.

If that doesn't change anything, what you see is not a bug; it is
simply the most cost-efective way (given the termcap) for emacs to
scroll the screen.  If you are used to the vt100's style of scrolling,
realize that it is due to the "scrolling region" logic (termcap cs
capability) that is missing from a lot of other terminals out there.
The sun console is one such terminal.
--
/jr
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (11/27/89)

In article <862@sys.uea.ac.uk> hacker@world.UUCP (anon) writes:
>Appeal for all hackers and student organizations in world.
>Please, give morality help and solidarity
>for Czechoslovak students.
>Regards, Friendly hacker. (anon)

Merde.  First "EASY MONEY."  Then the postcard kid popped up again.
Now this.

At least the "EASY MONEY" jerk knew how to cross-post.

--
Sean Eric Fagan  | "Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts."
seanf@sco.COM    |    -- Thomas Magnum (Tom Selleck), _Magnum, P.I._

misfit@trauma.guti.sld.AR (Martin Gil) (08/04/90)

HELP
Hi!, I'd like to recieve some information, please send it to the signature
address.
Thanks!!

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) (12/20/90)

What would I put into .emacs file to do either of the following (I want them
seperate for odd reasons)...

1) load-file the vt100.el term descrip.

2) execute a M-x enable-arrow-keys

========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]=======
= The belief that by forcing one to be "Politically Correct" in speech    =
= you can change what one thinks or feels, and so *CONTROL* the thoughts  =
= and bend them to the patterns *YOU* wish is one that George Orwell      =
= would have enjoyed seeing sweep the nation as it has, as predicted.     =
=========== Ken Jamieson: uunet!tronsbox.xei.com!tron1  ===================
=    NONE of the opinions represented here are endorsed by either         =
=    Xanadu Enterprises or its clients, AT&T Bell Labs or others.         =
=== The Romantic Encounters BBS 201-759-8450(PEP) / 201-759-8568(2400) ====