[comp.emacs] XON/XOFF problems with EMACS

sirotto@OAK.CIRCA.UFL.EDU (Mike Cerrato) (12/17/90)

The network I am loging on through insists on using XON/XOFF flow control.  Is
there anyway for EMACS to respond to the ^S/^Q as flow control rather than
Search and Quote character?
           ___  __
|\   |\   |    /  \	SirOtto -- Gallant Knight of a rather large, squarish
| \  | \  |   /		    table someplace in the West Panhandle of Florida.
|  \ |  \ |--<
|   \|   \|___\____/	Michael E. Cerrato -- University of Florida

Internet: sirotto%maple.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu
UUCP:	  ...!uunet!uflorida!pine.circa.ufl.edu!sirotto%maple.decnet

juices@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Michael A Guttman) (12/17/90)

In article <0094146A.821CEE00@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU> sirotto@OAK.CIRCA.UFL.EDU (Mike Cerrato) writes:
>The network I am loging on through insists on using XON/XOFF flow control.  Is
>there anyway for EMACS to respond to the ^S/^Q as flow control rather than
>Search and Quote character?

I had this problem, too.  The only way is to assign no function to the
^Q/^S characters and assign some unused keys to the functions that
^Q/^S used to invoke.

Mike

keinert@IASTATE.EDU (Keinert Fritz) (12/17/90)

> The network I am loging on through insists on using XON/XOFF flow
control.  Is
> there anyway for EMACS to respond to the ^S/^Q as flow control rather
than
> Search and Quote character?

I have run into the same problem. The solution is documented in the
elisp manual
and is also available inside the emacs info mode. I have made up a small
file
called modem.el which accomplishes what you need. Just load it from the
command
line when you start emacs. You also need to instruct your modem driver
translate C-S to C-\ and C-Q to C-^. The elisp file instructs emacs to
do the
reverse mapping.

---------------------------------------
(set-input-mode nil t)
(setq keyboard-translate-table (make-string 128 0))
(let ((i 0))
  (while (< i 128)
    (aset keyboard-translate-table i i)
    (setq i (1+ i))))
(aset keyboard-translate-table ?\034 ?\^s)
(aset keyboard-translate-table ?\^s ?\034)
(aset keyboard-translate-table ?\036 ?\^q)
(aset keyboard-translate-table ?\^q ?\036)

Fritz Keinert                             phone:  (515) 294-5128
Department of Mathematics                 fax:    (515) 294-5454
Iowa State University                     e-mail: keinert@iastate.edu
Ames, IA 50011

evan@plxsun.uucp (Evan Bigall) (12/19/90)

In article <7192@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> juices@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Michael A Guttman) writes:
->there anyway for EMACS to respond to the ^S/^Q as flow control rather than
->Search and Quote character?

-I had this problem, too.  The only way is to assign no function to the
-^Q/^S characters and assign some unused keys to the functions that
-^Q/^S used to invoke.

If this is the route you pick and you normally bind isearch-forward to ^S
make sure you change the value of the variable search-repeat-char as well.
Otherwise things won't behave the way you expect.

/Evan

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (12/20/90)

If you're using GNU Emacs, see the discussion in the file PROBLEMS in
the source distribution.  If you're using some other Emacs, then that
discussion may prove inspirational (or at least informative) if not
directly helpful.