[comp.emacs] remote file editing

austel@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Vernon Austel) (01/15/91)

   I want to be able to edit files which are not accessible from
my local file system or via NFS; in other words, I would like to be
able to edit files with names like "hostname:path", much as I can
copy files with names like this using rcp.  It looks like it wouldn't
be too difficult to do, but if someone has already done it and would
like to (re-)post it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Vernon Austel
austel@cs.ucla.edu

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (01/15/91)

In article <1991Jan14.213001.4416@cs.ucla.edu> austel@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Vernon Austel) writes:

      I want to be able to edit files which are not accessible from
   my local file system or via NFS; in other words, I would like to be
   able to edit files with names like "hostname:path", much as I can
   copy files with names like this using rcp.

ange-ftp is a package that does this.  It is available upon request
from the author or in the osu-cis elisp archive, viz:

tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:/pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/packages/ange-ftp.el.Z

here's some excerpts from the code:

;;
;; File:         ange-ftp.el
;; RCS:          $Header: ange-ftp.el,v 3.65 90/12/04 15:04:08 ange Exp $
;; Author:       Andy Norman, ange@hplb.hpl.hp.com
;; Created:      Thu Oct 12 14:00:05 1989
;; Modified:     Tue Dec  4 15:03:35 1990 (Ange) ange@anorman
;;
;;; This package attempts to make accessing files / directories using ftp from
;;; within GNU Emacs as simple as possible.  A subset of the normal
;;; file-handling routines are extended to understand ftp.
;;;
;;; To read or write a file using ftp, or to read a directory using ftp, the
;;; only thing that a user needs to do is to specify the filename using a
;;; slighly extended syntax.
;;;
;;; The default syntax of ftp files is /user@host:path.  This is customizable.
;;; See the variable ange-ftp-path-format for more details.
;;;

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (01/16/91)

EV> In article <1991Jan14.213001.4416@cs.ucla.edu> austel@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Vernon Austel) writes:

VA> I want to be able to edit files which are not accessible from
VA> my local file system or via NFS; in other words, I would like to be
VA> able to edit files with names like "hostname:path", much as I can
VA> copy files with names like this using rcp.

EV> ange-ftp is a package that does this.  It is available upon request
EV> from the author or in the osu-cis elisp archive, viz:

There is also a package remote.el that uses rcp (no need to type your
password if your .rhosts file is set up correctly). I use both packages at
the same time, they work together perfectly.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.ruu.nl>