[comp.emacs] One More Try

tmoody@sjuphil.uucp (T. Moody) (01/18/91)

I have posted this question before, but gotten no response.  That was
immediately before the holidays, however; perhaps people were too busy
to think about this.  The question concerns the micro-emacs 3.10 macro
language.

The problem is isolated in the following macro:

	split-current-window
	write-message "The window is split.  Press a key."
	set %dummy &gtk

If you put those line in a buffer and execute the buffer, you'll see
that despite what you'd expect, the window does not split until after
the third line is executed.

Since this sort of behavior can louse up macros considerably, I'd like
to know of a way to turn it off, if that is possible.

Thanks.

--
Todd Moody * tmoody@sjuphil.sju.edu
            "In what furnace was thy brain?"  -- William Blake

wirzeniu@cs.Helsinki.FI (Lars Wirzenius) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.161031.18200@sjuphil.uucp> tmoody@sjuphil.UUCP () writes:
>	split-current-window
>	write-message "The window is split.  Press a key."
>	set %dummy &gtk
>[deleted]
>that despite what you'd expect, the window does not split until after
>the third line is executed.
>
>Since this sort of behavior can louse up macros considerably, I'd like
>to know of a way to turn it off, if that is possible.

This is true, the screen isn't updated while executing a macro.  This
feature saves time, especially if you use the editor via a modem. You
can force an update with the command update-screen (sp?). I think you
also can turn it off entirely by setting a switch in the header file
estruct.h and recompile the thing.

Lars Wirzenius    wirzeniu@cs.helsinki.fi    wirzenius@cc.helsinki.fi