[comp.emacs] ancient versions from emacs TECO

mayer@porky.Acuson (Ronald &) (12/11/90)

From the gnu-emacs Frequently Asked Questions file:
>25: Where does the name "Emacs" come from?
>
>  EMACS originally was an acronym for Editor MACroS.  The first Emacs was
>  a set of macros written by Richard Stallman for the editor TECO (Tape
>  Editor and COrrector {Text Editor and COrrector?}) on a PDP-10.
>  (Amusing fact: many people have told me that TECO code looks a lot like
>  line noise.)

Back in school we used to have a version of emacs which used TECO, and yes,
there does seem to be some resemblance to line noise.  Unfortunatelly, my
account at school finally disappeared, and I can't find any of my TECO code.
Anyone out there willing to give us an example of your best (i.e. most like
line noise :-) TECO code?
	Ron Mayer

barad@bourbon.ee.tulane.edu (Herb Barad) (12/11/90)

In article <MAYER.90Dec10132807@porky.Acuson> mayer@porky.Acuson (Ronald &) writes:

>From the gnu-emacs Frequently Asked Questions file:
>>25: Where does the name "Emacs" come from?
>>
>>  EMACS originally was an acronym for Editor MACroS.  The first Emacs was
>>  a set of macros written by Richard Stallman for the editor TECO (Tape
>>  Editor and COrrector {Text Editor and COrrector?}) on a PDP-10.
>>  (Amusing fact: many people have told me that TECO code looks a lot like
>>  line noise.)

It's been years, but I seem to remember that TECO stood for

	Type Every Character Over

Herb Barad	[Signal & Image Processing Laboratory]
		[Electrical Engineering Dept. - Tulane Univ.]
INTERNET:	barad@bourbon.ee.tulane.edu

sowa@amdew.llnl.gov (Erik C. Sowa) (12/11/90)

TECO, eh? I remember playing games with this editor. Type in your name, see
what it does to your file... ;-)
***** Wahoo 5 *****
erik sowa (sowa@amdew.llnl.gov, sowa@cms1.llnl.gov)

edwardm@hpcuhd.HP.COM (Edward McClanahan) (12/15/90)

Ronald @ Acuson writes:

> Back in school we used to have a version of emacs which used TECO, and yes,
> there does seem to be some resemblance to line noise.  Unfortunatelly, my
> account at school finally disappeared, and I can't find any of my TECO code.
> Anyone out there willing to give us an example of your best (i.e. most like
> line noise :-) TECO code?

Sorry I don't have the "line noise" anymore, but long ago I used to use
a VAX running VMS 1.3.  THE editor was TECO (ported from DEC-10 days).
Some tireless sole had developed a TECO macro known as VTEDIT.  It was
about 500 lines with 80 characters/line of TECO commands.  The most frequent
character was the dollar-sign ($) as this is what TECO echoes when the
command terminator ESCAPE is pressed.  VTEDIT source was entirely unreadable
to my eyes.  A TECO expert I asked said that one could write readable TECO
macro source, but since TECO interprets the macros, the author found a
great speed-up was possible by removing "white space".  For those unfamiliar
with VTEDIT, it provided a screen editor not unlike Dec's later EDT (and TPU)
on VT100 terminals.  If I run across the VTEDIT source, I'll post it.

  Edward McClanahan
  Hewlett Packard Company     -or-     edwardm@cup.hp.com
  Mail Stop 42UN
  11000 Wolfe Road                     Phone: (480)447-5651
  Cupertino, CA  95014                 Fax:   (408)447-5039

alderson@alderson.stanford.edu (Rich Alderson) (12/18/90)

In article <MAYER.90Dec10132807@porky.Acuson>, mayer@porky (Ronald &) writes:

>From the gnu-emacs Frequently Asked Questions file:
>>25: Where does the name "Emacs" come from?
>>
>>  EMACS originally was an acronym for Editor MACroS.  The first Emacs was
>>  a set of macros written by Richard Stallman for the editor TECO (Tape
>>  Editor and COrrector {Text Editor and COrrector?}) on a PDP-10.
>>  (Amusing fact: many people have told me that TECO code looks a lot like
>>  line noise.)
>
>Back in school we used to have a version of emacs which used TECO, and yes,
>there does seem to be some resemblance to line noise.  Unfortunatelly, my
>account at school finally disappeared, and I can't find any of my TECO code.
>Anyone out there willing to give us an example of your best (i.e. most like
>line noise :-) TECO code?
>	Ron Mayer

0[a 0[b 0[c 8+8[..e
16<16<16<qa(2,)\ qb(2,)\ qc(2,)\ i
$
qc+16uc>
qa(2,)\ qb(2,)\ iff
$
0uc qb+16ub>
qa(2,)\ iffff
$
0ub 0uc qa+16ua>
iffffff
$

Documentation is left as an exercise for the reader :->

Rich Alderson
alderson@portia.stanford.edu

skip@skipnyc (Skip Gilbrech) (12/19/90)

In article <MAYER.90Dec10132807@porky.Acuson> mayer@porky.Acuson (Ronald &) writes:
>  From the gnu-emacs Frequently Asked Questions file:
>  >25: Where does the name "Emacs" come from?
>  >
>  >  EMACS originally was an acronym for Editor MACroS.  The first Emacs was
>  >  a set of macros written by Richard Stallman for the editor TECO (Tape
>  >  Editor and COrrector {Text Editor and COrrector?}) on a PDP-10.
>  >  (Amusing fact: many people have told me that TECO code looks a lot like
>  >  line noise.)
>
>  Back in school we used to have a version of emacs which used TECO, and yes,
>  there does seem to be some resemblance to line noise.  Unfortunatelly, my
>  account at school finally disappeared, and I can't find any of my TECO code.
>  Anyone out there willing to give us an example of your best (i.e. most like
>  line noise :-) TECO code?
>  	   Ron Mayer

I don't have any real TECO code, but for years I used a dos text editor, pmate,
whose macro language I understand is very similar to, and was based on, TECO.
Anyway, for your amusement, I've included the macros I used in pmate.

As someone else mentioned, the uncommented code runs much faster, so that's
what gets loaded.. I used to keep a commented version around, but I can't
find it, and anyway, this looks much more like line noise...  By the way,
I've changed all the real control characters in the macros (^X, ^A, etc.)
to the 2-char. sequence: '^' + 'X', etc., to avoid mailer problems.

Even though I wrote them, I'm not sure what all the macros do, so don't
ask... ;-)

As a side note, when I was good at them, I found pmate macros very
handy for ad-hoc text manipulation... easier to use for small stuff than
emacs lisp or most anything else I've used.

Line noise follows:

	0v9^[0v80^[0QF^[
^X1G<ESC> to write file and exit^[@K=27[BTE^[XE^[XH]
^X2G<ESC> to kill buffer and exit^[@K=27[BTE^[XK^[XH]
^X3.D
^X4@99=0[GBuffer?^[((@K>"/)&(@K<":)){(@K-"/)V9B@9E}{((@K="t)!(@K="T)){BTE}}][.R]
^X5.M
^X6.G
^X7@80<4{}{(@80-4)v80}.A
^X8(@80+4)v80.A
^X9((@X/4)*4)v80.A
^X0.A
^XA0LTES^N	^[(@E=0)[-M][JE]ES^N ^[(@E=0)[-M#D]
:E((@T="
)!(@T=0))[(@80)QX][(@80/8){I	^[}(@R){I ^[}]
^XC2QA@LV70@BV9B9KB9EIESC = Replace <^[I^AA^[I> with <^[I^AB^[I>, X = eXit^[B@9E
[EUS^AA^[@E[QBGNot found, ESC = beginning, else stay here^[@K=27[.G]%]
-S^AA^[G^A@9^[((@K="x)!(@K="X))[%]@K=27[C^AA^[^AB^[][M]]
^XD@1<10[I0^[]@1\I/^[@0<10[I0^[]@0\I/^[@2\-4M2D2M
^XF0V1.X
^XG(@70-@L)L
^XHB9KB9EXIC:\ETC\PMATE.OLR^[A
^XL(@A-@L)L
^XM@LV70
^XN((@T>96)&(@T<123))[@T-32R][(@T>64)&(@T<91){@T+32R}{M}]
^XR[((@T=32)!(@T=9)){M}{_}]T^[[S^W^[-M(((@T=32)!(@T=9))!(@T=13)){_}{M}]^[#[.N]
^XS200qp@bv9^[2qa0v7b5kb5ei^Aa^[b8kb8ei^Ab^[atz[@c=0_((@t=":)!(@t="\)){m#b9c1v7_}{-m}]
xk^[xl^Ab^[a((@t=0')&(@7=0')){a[b9gl@t=0_]}b9k0v7b@9e.+
^XT1v1.x
^XX@t=0[%]
[2v0gT=TEXT, I=IMAGE^[((@k="t)!(@k="T))[0v0]((@k="i)!(@k="I))[1v0]@0=2[%]
l-m@t=13'[mi
^[-m]l-lb9cb9g-2lixfr ^[s
^[-m@0=1[i/i^[]@1=0[i from ^[][i to ^[]d@0=1[s
^[-mi/i^[]l]
^X>1v7.+
^X+@bv9
[@7=2_@7=1jBb8ea
@t=0{i<^[i^A@5^[i> not found^[b9ea@tv7b8e@7=0{i, no matching files^[}{i in ^[i^A@9^[}gHit any key^[_}
1b9mb9ez-db7kb7e1xi^A@9^[0v5^[@lv6^[0v7
:B.=
]b@9e
^X=b7e
[@7=1jDb6kb6eiLooking for <^[i^A@5^[i> in ^[i^A@9^[b7e0g^A@6^[
a@t=0{b6kb6ei<^[i^A@5^[i> not found in ^[i^A@9^[b7e0g^A@6^[%}
:D0v7es^A@5^[@e{@6v5xk^[1xi^[@lva6^}-s^A@5^[(@5+@l)v4
b6kb6eiFound at line ^[@4\i in ^[i^A@9^[i, ESC = continue search^[
b7eg^A@6^[m(@k=27'){2v7^[8v9^[0gCall Macro '.>' to continue search^[4qd%}jD]
^X
--
Skip Gilbrech			email:	skip@fsg.com
Fusion Systems Group			uunet!fsg!skip

kpt@ibism.UUCP (Kevin Tyson) (01/19/91)

In article <MAYER.90Dec10132807@porky.Acuson>, mayer@porky.Acuson (Ronald &) writes:

> Anyone out there willing to give us an example of your best (i.e. most like
> line noise :-) TECO code?
> 	Ron Mayer

Here is pad.tec from the decus cd.

0J16UA0JIPAD::<%AQA-17"EI
	.BYTE	0UA|I,'.-Z"E"T!eof!-1A-,"E-D'I
	.BYTE	0
	.EVEN
	.END
JS50,102<:@FS/15,12//;0A-,"ED|-1A-,"E-D''>ZJ0;|1:A.-Z"EOeof'''0A\D>Wake up, finished ...

--
Kevin P. Tyson		Phone:  212-657-5928	Fax:    212-825-8607
IISA c/o Citibank	E-Mail: uunet!ibism!kpt