[comp.emacs] converting gnuemacs RMAIL

karger@osf.org (Paul A. Karger) (01/30/91)

Before I sit down to write the lisp code, does there already exist
a macro to convert an entire RMAIL (Babyl) format mail file to
UNIX mail file format?  There is a command to convert one message
at a time, but I have several VERY large files to convert, and a
macro to do entire files would be very useful.  I have to scrounge
up an GNU emacs lisp manual and re-learn lisp to write the macro,
so I thought I would ask first.  The code should actually be a pretty
trivial loop.

Thanks!
Paul

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (01/30/91)

In article <18377@paperboy.OSF.ORG>, karger@osf.org (Paul A. Karger) writes:

>Before I sit down to write the lisp code, does there already exist
>a macro to convert an entire RMAIL (Babyl) format mail file to
>UNIX mail file format?

I suggest you grab a copy of lispdir.doc.Z, lispdir.el.Z, and
LCD-datafile.Z from tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive.
Then you'll be able to type M-x lisp-dir-apropos <RET> babyl <RET>
yourself, and see:

                  Emacs Lisp Code Apropos -- "babyl"

babyl-mail        89-08-17
     Skip Montaro, <montanaro@sprite.crd.ge.com>
     tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/misc/babyl-mail.el.Z
     Quickie Babyl-to-mail convertor.
babyl-vm          89-08-10
     Ken Manheimer, <klm@cme.nist.gov>
     tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/misc/babyl-vm.el.Z
     Babyl-to-vm convertor.
conv-babl         89-07-17
     John Kohl, <jtkohl@athena.mit.edu>
     tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/functions/conv-babl.el.Z
     Pretty-print Babyl buffers.
de-rmail          89-08-17
     Nathan Hess, <woodstock@hobbes.intel.com>
     tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/misc/de-rmail.Z
     Conversion of BABYL to Unix mail file format.
rmail-apply       89-02-03
     Dan Pierson, <pierson@multimax.encore.com,encore!pierson>
     tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/as-is/rmailapply.el.Z
     Apply function to all messages, babyl-to-mail.
rmail2mail        89-12-07
     Skip Montanaro, <montnaro@sprite.crd.ge.com>
     tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/misc/rmail2mail.Z
     Convert an rmail babyl file to unix mail

I recently switched to VM (recommended), and used babyl-vm.  It
converts whole mail files and mail directories at a time, and retains
most of the labels such as replied, forwarded, etc.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)	  It will be a great day when our schools have
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    all the money they need and the Air Force

karger@osf.org (Paul A. Karger) (01/30/91)

I've gotten three responses to my question on converting Babyl to mail
from Dave Sill, James Brewster, and Barry Warsaw.   There are probably more
on the way.   Thanks to you all, and no more replies are needed!