[comp.emacs] Selectively setting backup mode

and@UX.RFHSM.LON.AC.UK (Andy Holyer) (02/01/91)

Guys, I've got a problem. my mail takes up about 1/2 as much space as
is left onthis disk partition. Therefore, when RMAIL does a save, it's
50-50 whether the disk'll fill or not. The obvious answer is to stop
rmail making a backup file - it makes enough security copies as it is.
So, what's the neatest way to stop the file .rmail being backed up? I
know that to disable backups, you set the variable make-backup-files
to nil, but how do you make sure it's reset when you've finished? I've
got that to set the variable you make rmail-mode-hook equal to
(setq make-backup-files nil), but even that looks like a hack, and I
don't know of an rmail-exit-hook or whatever. Logic should suggest
that you can control backup behaviour for each buffer, but I can't
find out how to do that.

	Of course, the easy answer's to go over to vm, but vm seems
not to want to give me any headers when it displays a message... when
I've got the behaviour nailed down I'll post a report on it.

- ---------------
|--------------

kyle@uunet.UU.NET (Kyle Jones) (02/02/91)

and@UX.RFHSM.LON.AC.UK (Andy Holyer) writes:
 > Guys, I've got a problem. my mail takes up about 1/2 as much space as
 > is left onthis disk partition. Therefore, when RMAIL does a save, it's
 > 50-50 whether the disk'll fill or not. The obvious answer is to stop
 > rmail making a backup file - it makes enough security copies as it is.
 > So, what's the neatest way to stop the file .rmail being backed up? I
 > know that to disable backups, you set the variable make-backup-files
 > to nil, but how do you make sure it's reset when you've finished? I've
 > got that to set the variable you make rmail-mode-hook equal to
 > (setq make-backup-files nil), but even that looks like a hack, and I
 > don't know of an rmail-exit-hook or whatever. Logic should suggest
 > that you can control backup behaviour for each buffer, but I can't
 > find out how to do that.

You need to make make-backup-files have a value that's local to
the RMAIL buffer.  I.e.

(setq rmail-mode-hook
      '(lambda ()
	 (make-local-variable 'make-backup-files)
	 (setq make-backup-files nil)))

 > 	Of course, the easy answer's to go over to vm, but vm seems
 > not to want to give me any headers when it displays a message... when
 > I've got the behaviour nailed down I'll post a report on it.

No headers?  I can believe that the message body isn't visible at
first.  That's called previewing and it's configurable.  Post to
gnu.emacs.vm.bug when you know more.

and@UX.RFHSM.LON.AC.UK (Andy Holyer) (02/05/91)

&nd > 	Of course, the easy answer's to go over to vm, but vm seems
&nd > not to want to give me any headers when it displays a message... when
&nd > I've got the behaviour nailed down I'll post a report on it.
Kyle>
Kyle> No headers?  I can believe that the message body isn't visible at
Kyle> first.  That's called previewing and it's configurable.  Post to
Kyle> gnu.emacs.vm.bug when you know more.
Kyle>

No, that's no *headers* - The lines at the front that have "From:" and
"To:" (and "Subject:"!) on them. To give an example, this message
would be read by me as starting with:

">>>>> On Fri, 1 Feb 91 22:08:18 GMT, Kyle Jones <kyle@UUNET.UU.NET> said:"

(no headers - so it's a bit tricky working out what the message is
supposed to mean)

This is *not* profiling - that works fine, and gives me the choice
between an enigmatic anonymous file and the first line of an enigmatic
anonymous file. To read the headers, you have to type "t" (to reveal
all of them) and then go to the start of the buffer.

The only answer I can think of is that U.K. mail is recieved in CB
format, not strict RFC822. But I can't say I've noticed any distinct
difference; then again I haven't managed to Hack'n'slay through the
code in VM which filters out unwanted header lines to find out why it
thinks *all* header lines are unwanted.

Oh yes, and I can't post - we can't afford to subscribe to news. Mail
only. anyone got a mail address?

advTHANKSance

---------------

kyle@uunet.UU.NET (Kyle Jones) (02/05/91)

and@UX.RFHSM.LON.AC.UK (Andy Holyer) writes:
 > To read the headers, you have to type "t" (to reveal
 > all of them) and then go to the start of the buffer.
 >
 > The only answer I can think of is that U.K. mail is recieved in CB
 > format, not strict RFC822. But I can't say I've noticed any distinct
 > difference; then again I haven't managed to Hack'n'slay through the
 > code in VM which filters out unwanted header lines to find out why it
 > thinks *all* header lines are unwanted.

Send me one of the messages in your folder so I can see the data
that's stimulating this strange behavior.

 > Oh yes, and I can't post - we can't afford to subscribe to news. Mail
 > only. anyone got a mail address?

Mail bug reports to bug-vm@uunet.uu.net; they will appear in the
newsgroup gnu.emacs.vm.bug along with being sent to the bug-vm
mailing list.