[comp.emacs] Reorganizing comp.editors

mehl@iastate.edu (Mark M Mehl) (02/05/91)

In <Feb.3.21.59.12.1991.19618@turbo.bio.net> leech@cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) writes:
>I propose the creation of comp.editors.vi.

If we are going to tamper with comp.editors, let's take this time
(and vote) to reorganize it so:

comp.editors  -------> comp.text.editors
comp.emacs ----------> comp.text.editors.emacs
NEW GROUP -----------> comp.text.editors.vi

This would make more sense to the new Usenet user who would be
looking for a discussion about editors under comp.text.*

Followups to news.groups; original call for discussion appeared in
news.announce.newgroups.
--
 /\ Mark M Mehl, alias Superticker (Supertickler to some)
<><> Internet: mehl@IAstate.edu

jbw@bigbird.bu.edu (Joe Wells) (02/05/91)

In article <mehl.665684483@pv0549.vincent.iastate.edu> mehl@iastate.edu (Mark M Mehl) writes:

   In <Feb.3.21.59.12.1991.19618@turbo.bio.net> leech@cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) writes:
   >I propose the creation of comp.editors.vi.

   If we are going to tamper with comp.editors, let's take this time
   (and vote) to reorganize it so:

   comp.editors  -------> comp.text.editors
   comp.emacs ----------> comp.text.editors.emacs
   NEW GROUP -----------> comp.text.editors.vi

Emacs is an editor?  Emacs is a windowing configurable user interface and
programming language.

More appropriate would be:

   comp.emacs.editor
   comp.emacs.news-reader
   comp.emacs.mail-handler
   comp.emacs.programming
   comp.emacs.help
   comp.emacs.bugs
   comp.emacs.package-1
   comp.emacs.package-1000

Where package-1 through package-1000 are replaced with the various other
things for which people use Emacs.

--
Enjoy,

Joe Wells <jbw@bu.edu>

jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) (02/06/91)

In article <JBW.91Feb4222100@bigbird.bu.edu> jbw@bigbird.bu.edu (Joe Wells) writes:
>Emacs is an editor?  Emacs is a windowing configurable user interface and
>programming language.
>
>More appropriate would be:
>
>   comp.emacs.editor
>   comp.emacs.news-reader
>etc.

You're thinking GNU Emacs.  There are several other dialects of Emacs
floating around; JOVE for instance.  For the various uses of GNU Emacs,
look under gnu.emacs.*

--
Jason Merrill					jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu