[comp.emacs] Programmer's Editor

randall@Virginia.EDU (Ran Atkinson) (02/15/91)

In article <665@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl>,
	 derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek Carr) writes:

>But I don't HAVE emacs on my (Sun4/pyramid) UNIX system, and have never
>seen it on ANY unix system I've worked on - I've either had to use vi
>(not too bad, but not too good either) the user-hostile sun editor, or
>Framemaker - which sometime is rather a steam-roller to crack a nut!

There is no reason not to have EMACS on ANY UNIX system.  Among many others,
the source for MicroEMACS is available from any comp.sources.* archive
on the net, many PC BBSs, and elsewhere.  GNU Emacs was originally developed
on a UNIX system and has been ported to every UNIX system I've heard of
and some UNIX version I hadn't heard of before perusing the GNU Emacs
documentation.  It is also widely available on the net and the FSF folks
will even put it onto a Mag Tape for you for a very slight fee.

If one doesn't want to use EMACS that is fine, but claims that it isn't
freely available on UNIX (or MSDOS or AmigaDOS or MacOS) are absurd.