[comp.emacs] Whither goeth emacs and epoch?

tor@bcars171.UUCP (Rene Tio) (02/18/91)

Can anybody comment on what will happen with xemacs now that epoch is around?
Will GNU support both, are they supporting both, and will epoch be the standard
X-windows emacs editor while GNU emacs will be the vanilla version?

carroll@cs.uiuc.edu (Alan M. Carroll) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb18.031433.26602@bigsur.uucp>, tor@bcars171.UUCP (Rene Tio) writes:
> Can anybody comment on what will happen with xemacs now that epoch is around?
> Will GNU support both, are they supporting both, and will epoch be the standard
> X-windows emacs editor while GNU emacs will be the vanilla version?

Epoch was developed at the University of Illinois by the
ConversationBuilder project for internal use as a hypertext frontend.
We later released it to the UNIX user community because we thought
people might find it useful. Technically speaking, Epoch has no
official relation to GNU Emacs or the FSF. In practice, the FSF has
said that they view Epoch as a test bed for ideas about Version 19.
If you would like more information on Epoch, you should post to
gnu.epoch.misc, or send me personal email. Thank you.

--
Alan M. Carroll                "I hate shopping with the reality-impaired"
Epoch Development Team                 - Susan