   From: sk@thp.uni-koeln.de (Sebastian Kremer)
   Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.sources
   Subject: Tree Dired available
   Date: 28 Jan 91 14:30:17 GMT
	 ~~~~~~~~~			 ONLY 3 WEEKS AGO !!

   Since Chris Ward <cward@mordor.dseg.ti.com> has just posted his
   enhanced Dired and Martin Maechler <maechler@breeze.bellcore.com> had
   enquired (in gnu.emacs.bug) about future Dired plans for the next
   Emacs release, I'd like to mention that I am currently beta-testing a
   new version of dired.
			    [[ This now "out" for a while: since Feb.5 ]]

   I have already given copyright of this in writing to the FSF.
   Probably RMS will include it in the next Emacs release.

   Features are:

       * Tree Dired (ls -lR allowed and insertion of subdirectories in
	 situ - just type `i' on a directory line to expand it into the
	 current buffer).
	 Commands to hide some or all subdirectories, leaving only their
	 header lines (like outline mode).
	 Moving commands to traverse the tree, to quickly go to the next
	 file that is a directory or to a specific file by name.
       * marking of files for later commands (all dired commands work on
	 lists of marked files or the next prefix ARG files and default
	 to the current file, so this is fully backward compatible.)
       * arbitrary shell commands on files, optionally in the background
       * renaming by regexp (with \<n> and \& allowed like in replace-regexp)
       * marking by regexp
       * marking by file type (directory/symlink/executable) in addition
	 to the usual marking of backup or auto-save files
       * diffing files
       * sorting on name or date
       * copy/move of single or marked files into a directory
       * spaces in filenames allowed
       * `F', `i' and `s' in dired-listing-switches allowed
       * and many little enhancements/fixes.

   It also works much better with ange-ftp.  In fact, there is hardly any
   difference between local and remote directories in Dired now.
   [ange-ftp is an Emacs lisp package that makes Emacs work with remote
   files using ftp.  It uses a filename syntax like rcp:
   /user@host:/absolute/path or /user@host:relative/to/your/home/dir.
   A recent version of ange-ftp.el is included in dired-ange.shar.]

   I have been watching discussions about Dired in the Emacs-related
   newsgroups and think all features that were being discussed are
   present in my dired.  All bugs that were mentioned are fixed or have
   vanished due to the major rewrite.

   The major difference between this version of dired and others is that
   it is possible to have a whole directory tree (or part of it) in one
   Dired buffer.  You can either add `R' to your listing switches or
   include directories one by one by typing `i' on them as you go along.
   >>> Unlike Monkey Mode, this is fully backward compatible to standard
   >>> Dired: a naive Dired user should have no problems in using Tree Dired.
   Dired buffers know about each other, so that moving or copying files
   around updates all concerned Dired buffers (and file buffers if a
   visited file is renamed).

   A version of my dired is available for anonymous ftp from

     ftp.cs.buffalo.edu:pub/Emacs/

	   dired.shar		Required (100k)
	   dired-extra.shar	Optional extra features (20k)
	   dired-ange.shar		Optional ange-ftp support (70k)
	   dired-txt		discussions from the beta tester list (40k)
	   diredall.tar.Z		All of the above (90k)

   "Extra" Dired features include minibuffer history for dired shell
   commands (including my gmhist - generic minibuffer history - package,
   which I will re-post soon), VM or RMAIL on folder, and dynamic marker
   characters.  Release 5.15 also can selectively omit files (such as
   backup, object and other uninteresting files) from the listing.

   --
   Sebastian Kremer <sk@thp.Uni-Koeln.DE>
   Institute of Theoretical Physics, University of Cologne, F. R. of Germany

Martin Maechler, Bellcore 2M-343, 445 South St., Morristown, NJ 07962-1910, USA
maechler@bellcore.com, Tel: (201) 829-4837(w)  933-0944(h), Fax (201) 538-9093.