[comp.emacs] macintosh interface to emacs

kmoore@ncsc.org (Kevin Moore) (02/21/91)

We have some users on site who are using NCSA telnet from a macintosh to
log into a SUN. If the term variable is set to vt100 and the user run
emacs, C-c does not
work properly. Has anyone seen this problem and is there a simple answer?
We have GNU emacs 18.55.1 .

                                 Kevin Moore
                     North Carolina Supercomputer Center
                           Scientific User Support
                                (919)248-1179
                               kmoore@ncsc.org

dnb@meshugge.media.mit.edu (David N. Blank) (02/22/91)

> We have some users on site who are using NCSA telnet from a macintosh
> to log into a SUN. If the term variable is set to vt100 and the user
> run emacs, C-c does not work properly. Has anyone seen this problem
> and is there a simple answer?  We have GNU emacs 18.55.1 .

Yes, I know exactly what this is, since it bit a user here and
frustrated me for a bit.  Chances are, you have mappings for ^C under
the Setup Keys on the Session menu.  I would recommed deleting any and
all key mappings under that option.  It seems that NCSA will trap for
^C, and send the telnet protocol equivlent of "interrupt" instead of
passing the ^C through to emacs.  Hope this helps.
          Peace,
              dNb

sjm@unhd.unh.edu (Scott J Mccue) (02/23/91)

In article <DNB.91Feb21141044@meshugge.media.mit.edu> dnb@meshugge.media.mit.edu (David N. Blank) writes:
>> We have some users on site who are using NCSA telnet from a macintosh
>> to log into a SUN. If the term variable is set to vt100 and the user
>> run emacs, C-c does not work properly. Has anyone seen this problem
>> and is there a simple answer?  We have GNU emacs 18.55.1 .
>
>Yes, I know exactly what this is, since it bit a user here and
>frustrated me for a bit.  Chances are, you have mappings for ^C under
>the Setup Keys on the Session menu.  I would recommed deleting any and
>all key mappings under that option.  It seems that NCSA will trap for
>^C, and send the telnet protocol equivlent of "interrupt" instead of
>passing the ^C through to emacs.  Hope this helps.
>          Peace,
>              dNb

   This change is made by editing the file config.tel. The two lines to
look for are:
                 localkeys = "{3,19,17}"
                 localkeys = on

   I removed the mappings entirely by changing the second line to
                 localkeys = off

   I suppose that you could remap the functions to different keys by
changing the numerical values in the first line.

sjm@unhd.unh.edu