[comp.emacs] Subdividing .../lisp

rms@AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Stallman) (01/30/91)

This idea would make the directory look cleaner, but it might have a
serious disadvantage, which is to slow down the search for files to
be loaded.

Maybe the cost won't be enough to be noticeable.  If you give it a
try, please let me know.  The most interesting case to test would
be when fetching the Lisp files via NFS from a fairly loaded server.

kyle@wendy-fate.uu.net (Kyle Jones) (02/02/91)

rms@AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Stallman) writes:
 > This idea would make the directory look cleaner, but it might have a
 > serious disadvantage, which is to slow down the search for files to
 > be loaded.

This slowdown can be eliminated if we just reorganized the Lisp
sources and left the byte-compiled code in a directory to itself.
In fact we should see some speedup since the directory will be
smaller.

abrown@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Allen Brown) (02/05/91)

kyle@wendy-fate.uu.net (Kyle Jones) writes:
> This slowdown can be eliminated if we just reorganized the Lisp
> sources and left the byte-compiled code in a directory to itself.
> In fact we should see some speedup since the directory will be
> smaller.

And some libraries could be slowed down without affecting serious uses
of emacs.  I refer to the many games packages.  This should speed up
the other packages.
--
  Allen Brown  abrown@cv.hp.com or abrown%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
	    or hplabs!hpcvca!abrown or "Hey you!"

ses%TECHUNIX.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Simon E Spero) (03/03/91)

   rms@AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Stallman) writes:
    > serious disadvantage, which is to slow down the search for files to
    > be loaded.

   kyle@wendy-fate.uu.net (Kyle Jones) writes:
    > This slowdown can be eliminated if we just reorganized the Lisp
    > sources and left the byte-compiled code in a directory to itself.
    > In fact we should see some speedup since the directory will be
    > smaller.

Wouldn't splitting off the .elc files  break thinks like
byte-recompile-directory? I can't see any problem at all with the longer
load-path. My standard load-path has about twelve elements (many of which
don't exist on any given machine). Even when they are all there,
the search time is negligiggle.

When I wrote my patch to info.el to work with multiple info directories, I
was effectively doing the same work as load-library finding files (
 x/file x/(downcase file) x/file.Z x/(downcase file).Z .) I found no
noticeable degradation in performance.

Talking about info files, if you're going to be splitting up the
lisp directory, mightn't it be an idea to split up the info directory as well?
Many major packages like vip, gnus, vm, etc. provide their own
texinfo files. If the plan is to separate major packages, then shouldn't the
info files live in the same place as the elisp files? Will version 19 provide
multiple Info-directories? The stand-alone info reader almost Does The Right
Thing here, although it still replies on a single dir file for all directories.

Simon
----
ses@techunix.technion.ac.il |        Latest Score: Israel 4, Iraq nil
ses@techunix.bitnet         |`Might as well face it, you're addicted to scuds'
Tel +272-4-292658, Fax +272-4-236212, Tlx 46406  |A Corner of a Foreign field.