[comp.emacs] GNU Emacs manual sales figures summary

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (02/26/91)

Bob Chassell, Treasurer of the Free Software Foundation, informs me
that the FSF has shipped about 30,000 GNU Emacs manuals in the past
five years, and recently has been averaging 800 manuals per month!
Also ISBN book numbers are being / have been introduced.
--
Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM  Naperville IL USA  +1 708-979-6364

stiller@cs.jhu.edu (Lewis Stiller) (02/26/91)

In article <DANJ1.91Feb25191827@cbnewse.ATT.COM> Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM writes:
>Bob Chassell, Treasurer of the Free Software Foundation, informs me
>that the FSF has shipped about 30,000 GNU Emacs manuals in the past
>five years, and recently has been averaging 800 manuals per month!
>Also ISBN book numbers are being / have been introduced.
>--
>Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM  Naperville IL USA  +1 708-979-6364

I recommend the GNU emacs manual very highly. It might seem
counterintuitive, since it is on-line, but a well-formatted,
well-bound and well-designed at-hand manual such as that one turns out to be
a big timesaver: in fact my lab mates are frequently consulting it as
well.  It used to be really cheap too. I have a few quibbles with the
design (e.g., multiple indexes), but, again, I recommend this to all
emacs users and potential emacs users.

Lewis Stiller
Department of Computer Science
Johns Hopkins University

hollen@megatek.UUCP (Dion Hollenbeck) (02/28/91)

In article <stiller.667537884@newton.cs.jhu.edu> stiller@cs.jhu.edu (Lewis Stiller) writes:

> I recommend the GNU emacs manual very highly. It might seem
> counterintuitive, since it is on-line, but a well-formatted,
> well-bound and well-designed at-hand manual such as that one turns out to be
> a big timesaver: in fact my lab mates are frequently consulting it as
> well.  It used to be really cheap too. I have a few quibbles with the
> design (e.g., multiple indexes), but, again, I recommend this to all
> emacs users and potential emacs users.
>
> Lewis Stiller
> Department of Computer Science
> Johns Hopkins University

And I have exactly the opposite viewpoint.  I DON'T recommend the
manual.  Without knowing the name of exactly the function you want,
it is impossible to look it up in the index.  Yes, you can look
up general subjects, go to that section and then troll through
the whole section until you find what you want, but I think that
a better method is to use M-x apropos followed by Info to
get more specific information on the topic.  Since functions
in Emacs generally have a word somewhere in the function name
which is descriptive of  what you want, you will get everything
containing it, even if it is in the middle of the function name.
In the index to the printed manual, if it is not in the
beginning, you are out of luck.
--
-----
	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814

liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Daniel LaLiberte) (02/28/91)

> From: hollen@megatek.UUCP (Dion Hollenbeck)
> I DON'T recommend the manual.  Without knowing the name of exactly
> the function you want, it is impossible to look it up in the index.

I agree it is difficult to look things up in the user manual.  That is
why I created that permuted index for the elisp manual.  It is a few
pages longer, but I am pretty much guaranteed to find what I am looking
for with one lookup.

Someone needs to go through the user manual adding index entries, and
then replace the standard index with a combined, permuted index.  I
volunteer to do the latter if others will do the former.

Dan LaLiberte
liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (02/28/91)

hollen@megatek.UUCP (Dion Hollenbeck) writes:

>In article <stiller.667537884@newton.cs.jhu.edu> stiller@cs.jhu.edu (Lewis Stiller) writes:
>>
>> I recommend the GNU emacs manual very highly.

>And I have exactly the opposite viewpoint.  I DON'T recommend the
>manual.  Without knowing the name of exactly the function you want,
>it is impossible to look it up in the index.

sounds like it needs an additional *permuted* index?
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]:

tim@cstr.ed.ac.uk (Tim Bradshaw) (02/28/91)

> Bob Chassell, Treasurer of the Free Software Foundation, informs me
> that the FSF has shipped about 30,000 GNU Emacs manuals in the past
> five years, and recently has been averaging 800 manuals per month!
> Also ISBN book numbers are being / have been introduced.

That's a lot!  I reckon that must mean something like 100,000 serious
users of Emacs, possibly rather more, but less than a million.  Does
anyone know how many copies <some random word-processor> ships over
its life?  how about <random commercial Unix editor/word-processor
excluding stuff shipped with Unix (vi, ed &c)>?

--tim
Tim Bradshaw.  Internet: tim%ed.cstr@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
UUCP: ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!cstr!tim  JANET: tim@uk.ac.ed.cstr
"...wizzards & inchanters..."

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (03/01/91)

hollen@megatek.UUCP (Dion Hollenbeck) writes:
>Without knowing the name of exactly the function you want,
>it is impossible to look it up in the index. [...] Since functions
>in Emacs generally have a word somewhere in the function name
>which is descriptive of  what you want [...]

This sounds like a job for an inverted index.

    like a job for an inverted    1 index.  This sounds
  This sounds like a job for an   1 inverted index.
index.	     This sounds like a   1 job for an inverted
an inverted index.	   This   1 sounds like a job for
for an inverted index.		  1 This sounds like a job

Read down the '1' column -- that's the page number where a sentence appears
which contains the word to the right of the page number.  The sentence
itself surrounds the page number (wrapping at the end of the line) for
context, so you know which of those instances of the word you're looking
for is interesting to you.

The BSD 4.1 (at least) documentation has one of these based on the
one-sentence description of each thing there's a man page for.  (That
sentence is the output of apropos, too).  It's relatively easy to generate
algorithmically.  For Emacs, of course, you'd use dashes in the command
name as word breaks, but you can also use the text of the help message for
each command.  An inverted index is not exactly concise, and at one line
per citation they run to several pages, but they're immensely valuable for
information like this.  Essentially, it *is* apropos, in printed form.

Just trying to be helpful...

lark@greylock.tivoli.com (Lar Kaufman) (03/02/91)

(Lewis Stiller) writes:

> >> I recommend the GNU emacs manual very highly.

> >And I have exactly the opposite viewpoint.  I DON'T recommend the
> >manual.  Without knowing the name of exactly the function you want,
> >it is impossible to look it up in the index.
>
> sounds like it needs an additional *permuted* index?

That would help.  There is a problem with terminology, though, that
makes indexing
of limited use.  If you don't know what to look for specificall (not
just the function
name, but the specific topic in the terms used in the book) you can get stuck.

If you want an example of beautiful documentation, look at the manuals
for the Quicken
product (PC based).  Beautifully done in all regards, and suitable for
use by a broad
audience.

Lar Kaufman            I would feel more optimistic about a bright future
(voice) 512-794-9070   for man if he spent less time proving that he can
(fax)   512-794-0623   outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness
lark@tivoli.com        and respecting her seniority.  -  - E.B. White

mhoffos@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (03/04/91)

In article <TIM.91Feb28152445@kahlo.cstr.ed.ac.uk>, tim@cstr.ed.ac.uk (Tim Bradshaw) writes:

>  [...]
> That's a lot!  I reckon that must mean something like 100,000 serious
> users of Emacs, possibly rather more, but less than a million.  Does
> anyone know how many copies <some random word-processor> ships over
> its life?  how about <random commercial Unix editor/word-processor
> excluding stuff shipped with Unix (vi, ed &c)>?
>
> --tim
> Tim Bradshaw.  Internet: tim%ed.cstr@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
> UUCP: ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!cstr!tim  JANET: tim@uk.ac.ed.cstr
> "...wizzards & inchanters..."

According to the latest WordPerfect Report, they (WordPerfect) are shipping
200 000 copies a month world-wide, which represents (according to the figures I
have seen) about 66% of the DOS word-processer market.  Last year, they had
$459 Million in sales.  Last year, they also reached a huge milestone:
cumulative sales of $1 billion.

Remeber this too: WordPerfect exists for *many* different platforms, including
the Mac, the Amiga, the Atari ST, UNIX V/386, System 370, the NeXT, the Data
General, etc.

These are in my opinion staggering numbers. I guess it is not that surprising
why WordPerfect is sysonymous with word processing!

I have no connection with WP, etc. etc.

Mike Hoffos
--
mhoffos@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca
(Mount Royal College is a community college in Calgary, Alberta)

Disclaimer:     Mount Royal College doesn't speak for me, and I *certainly*
                don't speak for it.