[comp.emacs] FSF philosophy

rms@MOLE.AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Stallman) (03/08/91)

    >The Free Software Foundation urges X Windows users not to use Motif,
    >for two reasons.

    ...niether of which have anything to do with the utility of Motif --
    the product or the standard.

That's right.  How well Motif works if you can run it is not the
issue.  The issues are whether a progam will be more available if it
does not use Motif, and whether in the long run we will be better off
supporting and encouraging development of free toolkits rather than
proprietary ones.  Certainly those things will enhance the GNU system.

The purpose of the GNU project, and the FSF, and the mailing list
(help-gnu-emacs) that I am sending this message to, is to increase the
freedom of users to share software.  Most of our work for this cause
consists of developing software, but occasionally there are times when
it makes sense to urge users to do specific things to help free
software thrive.