[comp.emacs] MicroEMACS and its startup file

pjh@mccc.edu (me) (03/05/91)

Where does M-EMACS look for its startup file?  I've placed it in a
directory that's in my PATH and in $HOME, but it only reads it when I'm
in $HOME or in that directory.

Thanks,
Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

scott@cs.hw.ac.uk (Scott Telford) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar5.011251.10615@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (me) writes:
>Where does M-EMACS look for its startup file?  I've placed it in a
>directory that's in my PATH and in $HOME, but it only reads it when I'm
>in $HOME or in that directory.

Under Unix, MicroEMACS (v3.10 al least) will look for both .emacsrc amd
emacs.hlp in $HOME, $PWD (.emacsrc only), the $PATH directories,
/usr/local/ and /usr/lib, in that order. The last two are defined in a
table in epath.h and are easy to change - if you want to be slightly
more organised about it then you could change /usr/lib to usr/local/lib.

| Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,               scott@cs.hw.ac.uk    |
| Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK.                 scott%hwcs@ukc.uucp  |
|_____ "Expect the unexpected." (The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy) ______|

In article <2461@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> scott@cs.hw.ac.uk (me) writes:
>Under Unix, MicroEMACS (v3.10 al least) will look for both .emacsrc amd
>emacs.hlp in $HOME, $PWD (.emacsrc only), the $PATH directories,
>/usr/local/ and /usr/lib, in that order. The last two are defined in a
>table in epath.h and are easy to change - if you want to be slightly
>more organised about it then you could change /usr/lib to usr/local/lib.

CORRECTION: it's $HOME that it won't look for emacs.hlp in.

Getting back to the original question, if it's an unhacked version of
MicroEMACS, and your HOME environment variable is set properly, and the
file's called .emacsrc, then there's no excuse for MicroEMACS not
finding it.

saint@alessia.dei.unipd.it (Gian Uberto Lauri 228495) (03/08/91)

From article <1991Mar5.011251.10615@mccc.edu>, by pjh@mccc.edu (me):
> Where does M-EMACS look for its startup file?  I've placed it in a
> directory that's in my PATH and in $HOME, but it only reads it when I'm
> in $HOME or in that directory.

Sounds strange. But it seems that the .emacsrc isn't in the $HOME
directory, so THAT should be the problem. Try moving .emacsrc in
$HOME.

/___/\_|_|\_|__|__/__ Gian Uberto Lauri
  //--\| | \|  |    / saint@alessia.dei.unipd.it