[comp.emacs] Getting Calc v1.07 to split on VMS

msd@rrdfunphy.nist.gov (M. Scott Dewey) (03/17/91)

Greetings all!

I'm starting to use calc v1.07 by Dave Gillespie with emacs v18.55 and VMS.
It works fine if I leave everything in calc.el and calc-ext.el, but when I
try to run calc-install or calc-split so I can optimize what gets loaded, I
invariably get the error: "This command is for Calc installers only.
(Refer to the documentation.)".  Has anyone worked through this problem
before?  I don't know whether or not this is something specific to VMS.  I
think calc is pretty neat!

Thanks!
--
NAME:   Dr. M. Scott Dewey             TELE: (301) 975-4843
DIVISION: Ionizing Radiation           INTERNET: msd@rrdfunphy.nist.gov

kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) (03/18/91)

In article <342@durer.cme.nist.gov> msd@rrdfunphy.nist.gov writes:
>Greetings all!
>
>I'm starting to use calc v1.07 by Dave Gillespie with emacs v18.55 and VMS.
>It works fine if I leave everything in calc.el and calc-ext.el, but when I
>try to run calc-install or calc-split so I can optimize what gets loaded, I
>invariably get the error: "This command is for Calc installers only.
>(Refer to the documentation.)".  Has anyone worked through this problem
>before?  I don't know whether or not this is something specific to VMS.  I
>think calc is pretty neat!

Install the following patch.  It is given in a Unix-style context difference
(sorry).  You need only modify one line in calc-ext.el.  The problem was
caused by the assumption that the system would return file names in lower
case.  Of course, for VMS, all file names are returned in upper case.  The fix
was to convert the name returned by VMS to lower case.

The lines following "*** 25294,25300 ****" are from the original file.  The
numbers here are the range of line numbers from the original file.  The line
marked with "!" is the line needing changing.

The lines following "--- 25294, 25300 ----" are from the patched file.  The
line marked with "!" is the modified line.

Install this one line patch and your problem should be solved.

*** calc-ext.el-orig	Thu Nov  1 23:36:35 1990
--- calc-ext.el	Sun Mar  3 16:35:29 1991
***************
*** 25294,25300 ****
    (let (copyright-point
  	autoload-point
  	(start (point-marker))
! 	(mainfile (file-name-nondirectory (buffer-file-name)))
  	checkfile
  	(isextfile nil)
  	filename
--- 25294,25300 ----
    (let (copyright-point
  	autoload-point
  	(start (point-marker))
! 	(mainfile (file-name-nondirectory (downcase (buffer-file-name))))
  	checkfile
  	(isextfile nil)
  	filename
Kevin Gallagher        kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org OR ...!uunet!digi!kgallagh
DSC Communications Corporation   Addr: MS 152, 1000 Coit Rd, Plano, TX 75075