[comp.emacs] X11 and GNU emacs

jka@radar0.larc.nasa.gov (J. Keith Alston) (03/12/91)

 Hello out there,
     I've just built and installed GNU emacs on a COMPAQ 386-33
 running ISC unix v2.2. Everything seems to work fine except that
 when I try to start emacs under X windows I get the following:

 X server not responding. Check your DISPLAY environment variable.

 I built emacs with HAVE_X_WINDOWS and X11 defined. anyone have any
 idea whats wrong.
				      Thank You,
--
"In this world you must be OH so smart or OH so pleasant...
			 I recommend pleasant"----> Elwood P. Dowd

jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar11.222925.25685@news.larc.nasa.gov> jka@radar0.larc.nasa.gov (J. Keith Alston) writes:
> Hello out there,
>     I've just built and installed GNU emacs on a COMPAQ 386-33
> running ISC unix v2.2. Everything seems to work fine except that
> when I try to start emacs under X windows I get the following:
>
> X server not responding. Check your DISPLAY environment variable.
>
> I built emacs with HAVE_X_WINDOWS and X11 defined. anyone have any
> idea whats wrong.
>				      Thank You,
>--
>"In this world you must be OH so smart or OH so pleasant...
>			 I recommend pleasant"----> Elwood P. Dowd
>Lockheed Eng. and Sci. Co./Nasa Larc|J. Keith Alston jka@radar0.larc.nasa.gov

I would also like to learn the answer to this one...I get the same error message,
but under a different set of conditions...

I'm running an IBM RS/6000 under AIX 3.1 using the Motif/Xwindows supplied by IBM.
I have two other machines that I regularly use over the network, one a Sun 3/280 and
the other a Sun SparcStation 1, both running SunOS 4.1.1. All three machines are
running GNU Emacs 18.57. Emacs works fine on all three locally (when I'm on that
machine's console using Xwindows.) and it works remotely from the sparc to the 3/280 and
from the sparc to the RS/6000 and from the RS/6000 to the 3/280. When I try to bring
up emacs on the sparcstation from the RS/6000 and let it have its own window (i.e.
using "emacs", not "emacs -nw") I get the same error message

 X server not responding. Check your DISPLAY environment variable.

For the setup I just mentioned, the DISPLAY variable is set correctly
on the remote machine (sparcstation) AND all the other Xwindows tools I use
work fine, even displaying images and dvi files...the only time I get that
message is with emacs on the sparcstation with the sparcstation as my remote
machine and the RS/6000 as my local machine...HELP!!!

John Burton
(jcburt@gatsibm.larc.nasa.gov)
G & A Technical Software

steveh@moosehead.mips.com (Stephen C. Hill) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar11.222925.25685@news.larc.nasa.gov>,
jka@radar0.larc.nasa.gov (J. Keith Alston) writes:

>  Hello out there,
>      I've just built and installed GNU emacs on a COMPAQ 386-33
>  running ISC unix v2.2. Everything seems to work fine except that
>  when I try to start emacs under X windows I get the following:
>
>  X server not responding. Check your DISPLAY environment variable.
>
>  I built emacs with HAVE_X_WINDOWS and X11 defined. anyone have any
>  idea whats wrong.

I have to (under csh) "setenv DISPLAY xtermname:0" (where xtermname is
the name of the x-window terminal that you want the emacs window to open
up on).  I would suppose that "DISPLAY=xtermname:0;export DISPLAY" would
be needed under Bourne shell.

Steve

--
Stephen C. Hill, CDP
{ames,prls,pyramid,decwrl}!mips!steveh  or  steveh@mips.com

Time is Nature's method of keeping us from bumping into ourselves.

boylanr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (ross boylan) (03/19/91)

I had similar problems getting X-windows and emacs working together.
1) the DISPLAY environment variable needs to be set.
2) You must execute the xhost (xhosts?) command for remote operations
to work correctly (at least in some environments).  As I recall, the
error messages were not too helpful in identifying the problem.

I hope this helps.