[comp.emacs] Who uses MicroEMACS3.10 on UNIX?

rcpt@rw7.urc.tue.nl (Piet Tutelaers) (03/01/91)

In an attempt to install MicroEMACS 3.10 (the MS-DOS distribution in
several .arc files) on UNIX I ran into several problems.  So I am asking
myself the question: `Is MicroEMACS3.10 used on UNIX at all?' And `Am I
using the correct distribution?'.  The most severe problem I encountered
is the fact that it does not run nicely in a xterm window.  In such a
window the status line is not displayed correctly and the arrow keys
do not work properly.

If somebody uses 3.10 seriously I would like to know how he did overwin
these problems.  (Don't tell me that I should use the `big' emacs or
jove, we do have both.  Because I use MicroEMACS (3.9e) at home on my
AMIGA, on MS-DOS (3.10) and VAX-VMS (3.10), I would still prefer this
editor above the other emacs flavours and even `vi'.)

The documentation of 3.10 is in MicroScribe which seems the
(micro?)parent of LaTeX.  Because we don't have MicroScribe and don't
want yet another typesetter, I tried to convert the documentation to
LaTeX by using the `s2latex' converter from our TeX-distribution.  It
would still cost me a lot of time to get a nice typeset manual, even
with this converter.  Is there anybody who has done this job already
(troff would be an acceptable alternative--I have the 3.9e documentation
in troff)?

Hope to hear from you!

--Piet

uucp:   rcpt@urc.tue.nl       | Piet Tutelaers        Room  RC 1.90
bitnet: rcpt@heithe5.BITNET   | Eindhoven University of  Technology
phone:  +31 (0)40 474541      | P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, NL

decouty@irisa.fr (Bertrand Decouty) (03/01/91)

In article <458@rc6.urc.tue.nl> rcpt@urc.tue.nl writes:

| In an attempt to install MicroEMACS 3.10 (the MS-DOS distribution in
| several .arc files) on UNIX I ran into several problems.  So I am asking
| myself the question: `Is MicroEMACS3.10 used on UNIX at all?' And `Am I
| using the correct distribution?'.  The most severe problem I encountered
| is the fact that it does not run nicely in a xterm window.  In such a
| window the status line is not displayed correctly and the arrow keys
| do not work properly.

Yes, we use micro-emacs3.10e under Unix (SunOS 4.0.3/4.1, Gould NP1). It
runs fine with sunview-shelltool and also with xterm (not so many tries
because i use sunview). Your trouble with keys could come from .Xdefaults.
Try to see which code (if any!) is sent by cursor keys. As for me, i tell
xterm to keep original sun function key codes (esc [ 222 z). Look at xterm
man page. memacs uses termcap keys definition for cursor.

You can download our current version from anonymous ftp site
irisa.irisa.fr. It is the original version along with numerous upgrades and
corrected bugs (not all from me). Unfortunately, it seems i have introduced
other minor bugs. I have put my .emacsrc and assorted files to make memacs
recognise the full Ri keypad of Sun keyboard. There is also a LaTeX command
file, very useful for typing accented letters. All in all, i am satisfied
with it, but it still needs improvement, due to either bugs or missing
features, mainly under Unix.

[...]
| The documentation of 3.10 is in MicroScribe which seems the
| (micro?)parent of LaTeX.  Because we don't have MicroScribe and don't
| want yet another typesetter, I tried to convert the documentation to
| LaTeX by using the `s2latex' converter from our TeX-distribution.  It
| would still cost me a lot of time to get a nice typeset manual, even
| with this converter.  Is there anybody who has done this job already
| (troff would be an acceptable alternative--I have the 3.9e documentation
| in troff)?

A collegue having a scribe system gave me the PostScript output. It is in
pub/m-emacs310e/emacs.ps.Z on irisa.irisa.fr.

| Hope to hear from you!

that's done!

| --Piet
|
| uucp:   rcpt@urc.tue.nl       | Piet Tutelaers        Room  RC 1.90
| bitnet: rcpt@heithe5.BITNET   | Eindhoven University of  Technology
| phone:  +31 (0)40 474541      | P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, NL

Bertrand Decouty.

PS: i will be glad to receive any upgrade and bugs correction Unix users of
micro-emacs could have made on the original sources, even if it is on 3.9e
or 3.10 version.
Thank you.

--
[ Bertrand DECOUTY             | EMAIL : decouty@irisa.fr, decouty@irisa.uucp  ]
[ IRISA - INRIA (Atelier)      |         {uunet,mcsun,inria}!irisa!decouty     ]

mascio@convex.com (John R.S. Mascio) (03/02/91)

In article <458@rc6.urc.tue.nl> rcpt@urc.tue.nl writes:

>In an attempt to install MicroEMACS 3.10 (the MS-DOS distribution in
>several .arc files) on UNIX I ran into several problems.  So I am asking
>myself the question: `Is MicroEMACS3.10 used on UNIX at all?' And `Am I
>using the correct distribution?'.  The most severe problem I encountered
>is the fact that it does not run nicely in a xterm window.  In such a
>window the status line is not displayed correctly and the arrow keys
>do not work properly.

First of all, it sounds like you have it compiled properly.  When using
MicroEMACS in a xterm window, make sure you have your TERMCAP environment
variable set properly (see resize(1) ).  This can give you some realy screwy
problems, if not set properly.  EACH time you resize your window, you will
need to reset TERMCAP.  MicroEMACS, unlike the GNUasaurous, does not like it
when your windows are resized.  The arrow keys are a bit of a problem.
Unless they give a simple control code or something of the form "^[[x",
where x is some single character, you will not be able to use them.
This is bound with the key of FNx (where x is the same x as before).

I.E.  My HP9000 keyboard's up arrow sends out "^[[A".  To use it I have
"bind-to-key previous-line       FNA" in my .microemacsrc file.  (We
changed the name to prevent confusion around here, we have more emacs
and emacs-like varities around here that it is a  bit riducluous.)

Hope this helps!

JRSM
---
John Raymond Stone Mascio           (214) 713-4800, c1e81-r          _
mascio@{convex.com,mcs.kent.edu}		                 _|_|_)
UNIX SysAdmin - Engineering Operations / Convex Computer Corp   (_|_|

Employee of and not a spokesperson for Convex Computer Corporation.

sjg@zen.void.oz.au (Simon J. Gerraty) (03/18/91)

In <1991Mar01.163116.18362@convex.com> mascio@convex.com (John R.S. Mascio) writes:
>In article <458@rc6.urc.tue.nl> rcpt@urc.tue.nl writes:
>>
>>In an attempt to install MicroEMACS 3.10 (the MS-DOS distribution in
>>several .arc files) on UNIX I ran into several problems.  So I am asking
>>myself the question: `Is MicroEMACS3.10 used on UNIX at all?' And `Am I
>>using the correct distribution?'.  The most severe problem I encountered
>>is the fact that it does not run nicely in a xterm window.  In such a
>>window the status line is not displayed correctly and the arrow keys
>>do not work properly.

>...  The arrow keys are a bit of a problem.
>Unless they give a simple control code or something of the form "^[[x",
>where x is some single character, you will not be able to use them.
>This is bound with the key of FNx (where x is the same x as before).

I used MicroEMACS on a Sun for some time before getting GNU
emacs.  I persisted with MicroEMACS for some time as I too had
to use PC's also GNU emacs versions prior to about 18.54 did not
work with the bourne shell on the sun386i.  That is no longer
the case, and I haven't used MicroEMACS for a year or so.  The
version I used was my own heavily munged 3.9a

To handle the function (and cursor) keys on the Sun - which
generate \E[214z etc I added some code to input.c (see below).

Later, I wrote a curses interface for MicroEMACS that was much
more useful.  If there is interest I'll post my curses.[ch]
somewhere.  I used this interface on various System V machines
as well as the Sun.

getcmd()

{
	int c;		/* fetched keystroke */

	/* get initial character */
	c = get1key();

	/* process META prefix */
	if (c == metac) {
		c = get1key();
	        if (islower(c))		/* Force to upper */
        	        c ^= DIFCASE;
	        if (c>=0x00 && c<=0x1F)		/* control key */
	        	c = CTRL | (c+'@');
#if	1	/* temporary ESC sequence fix......... */
		if (c == '[') {

#if 0 /* def sun386 until curses.c works */
                        while ((c = get1key()) != 'z' && i < 6)
                        {
                          tmp[i++] = c & 127;
                          tmp[i] = '\0';
                        }
                        c = atoi(tmp) & 127;
#else
			c = get1key();
#endif
			return(SPEC | c);
		}
#endif
		return(META | c);
	}

	/* process CTLX prefix */
	if (c == ctlxc) {
		c = get1key();
	        if (c>='a' && c<='z')		/* Force to upper */
        	        c -= 0x20;
	        if (c>=0x00 && c<=0x1F)		/* control key */
	        	c = CTRL | (c+'@');
		return(CTLX | c);
	}

	/* otherwise, just return it */
	return(c);
}
--
Simon J. Gerraty        <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>

#include <disclaimer>   /* imagine something _very_ witty here */

barryf@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Barry B. Floyd) (03/20/91)

Is microemacs (for the PC/Win 3.0, etc.) programmable? What is the
what makes it "micro"; that it isn't programmable?

thanks (I may bespeak my ignorance here, but that's what questions are for).

barry
| Barry B. Floyd                   \\\       barry_floyd@mts.rpi.edu |
| Manager Information Systems - HR    \\\          usere9w9@rpitsmts |
+-Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute--------------------troy, ny 12180-+