[comp.emacs] How to kill a rectangular block using micro-emacs

halpern@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (David Halpern) (03/07/91)

In emacs there exist kill-rectangle  and yank-rectangle commands.  Are
there equivalent commands in microemacs 3.10? I can't find any. If someone
has some macros to  do these things I would appreciate if they could send
them to me or let me know how to do them.
Thanks in advance,

David Halpern
Telephone: (708) 491-4308
Office Location: TECH B426 (Center for multiphase flow)
Address:  Biomedical Engineering Department
          Northwestern University
	  Evanston IL 60208

e-mail:halpern@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

dan@mdbs.uucp (Daniel Lawrence) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar7.023616.16075@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> halpern@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (David Halpern) writes:

>In emacs there exist kill-rectangle  and yank-rectangle commands.  Are
>there equivalent commands in microemacs 3.10? I can't find any. If someone
>has some macros to  do these things I would appreciate if they could send
>them to me or let me know how to do them.

	In the standard command files that come with MicroEMACS there is
a command page called BLOCK mode.  Hit the F8 key to bring up the page
loader, hit B to bring up the BLOCK page.  It has rectangular cut/paste
commands active on the shifted function keys.  The actual macro code for
these is in bpage.cmd.

>Thanks in advance,

>David Halpern

	No Problem.

			Daniel Lawrence  voice: (317) 742-5153
					  arpa:	mdbs!dan@ee.ecn.purdue.edu
				The Programmer's Room
				Fido: 1:201/10 - (317) 742-5533

campbell@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Gary Campbell) (03/21/91)

While we're on the subject of blocks...  I sometimes want to decolumnize
text.  Insert-block almost does what I want, but although it inserts
horizontally, it seems to overlay vertically.  What I did was a
delete-block, then I went to the block buffer, (I think I trimmed the
trailing blanks) then esc-w'ed the entire buffer, returned to the file
and inserted it.  This worked fine until I tried to do this with a
keyboard macro (C-x().  It's been a while, but I think it executed the
first time, but didn't work any more than that.  I think it just didn't
do anything.  Sometime when I get some time, I plan to either try the
internal debug mode, and/or give the Turbo Debugger a workout and see if
I can figure out why it doesn't work.  In the mean time, do you know of
any reason why it doesn't work or a "standard" way to do the same thing
I missed?  I suppose the "real" way to do this is add another piece of
code to the package, which would probably be faster than figuring out
why it isn't working with the "remember" function.

Thanks in advance.

Gary Campbell
campbell@hpdmd48.BOI.HP.COM