[comp.emacs] Info about newest version of MicroEMACS

drk@athena.mit.edu (David R Kohr) (03/23/91)

Scott Telford (scott%cs.hw.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk) recently announced
on comp.windows.ms.programmer that a new mostly-bugfix version of
MicroEMACS, v. 3.10m, was available on midas.mgmt.purdue.edu.  I asked him
a few questions about the new version and future MicroEMACS development
in general; I thought his responses would be of general interest to this
group.

>I can't FTP to midas.mgmt.purdue.edu; it denies access to user "anonymous".
>Does this machine not allow anonymous FTP at all, or only at restricted
>times?

Dan says (in the article he posted to comp.emacs when v3.10e was
released) that anonymous FTP is available "outside the hours of 8am to
5:30pm central time". Also midas.mgmt.purdue.edu may also be
zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu. (I use the Princeton BITFTP server, so I can't say
vey much about this. All I know is that it has worked when you use the
midas address)

>Also, what is the story on new MicroEMACS development?  Dan Lawrence told me
>late last year that a version 3.11 would be coming out this past
>January, with lots of badly-needed bugfixes for the Sun version (among
>other things).  This failed to materialize, and Dan has been basically
>ignoring my queries about the new version since then (or else not receiving
>my messages: I don't know which).

The last I heard about 3.11 was that it would be released before the end
of last year(!).

BTW, Dan posted an article to comp.emacs on March 10 (about the block
mode command page) from the address dan@mdbs.uucp.

>Could you tell me who did the work on the "3.10m" version you posted about?

v3.10m doesn't even come with release notes, so the only documentation
I've got is the history.c file. Briefly the new things (since 3.10e) in it
are:

- provision for non-standard end-of-line codes

- Sun version works.

- Improved file locking for SunOS/OS/2/DOS.

- 16-bit character/Kanji support for NEC PC-9801 and Fujitsu FMR-70

- New REP mode (slightly different to OVER mode)

- Configurable set of character considered to be "in a word".

- Jove-type "pop-up" temporary windows that overlay the screen - used for
list-buffers, describe-bindings etc.

- OS/2 version works.

- MAGIC mode + and ? metacharacters added.

- various bugfixes.

Most of this seems to have been done by Dan and John Gamble.

>Also, the documentation hasn't been updated in ages.  I've volunteered to
>help with this (especially in production of a troff rather than SCRIBE
>version of the manual), but Dan Lawrence hasn't been answering my messages
>at all.

A troff version would be more useful than Scribe-format, but I think TeX
would be the best format to use (it seems to be superceding troff in
most places). What *is* really needed though, is a properly-formatted
ASCII version - the emacs.txt file with v3.10 is appalling!

| Scott Telford                 Janet: scott@uk.ac.hw.cs / scott@cs.hw.ac.uk |
| Comp Sci IV                Internet: scott%cs.hw.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk  |
| Dept of Computer Science       uucp: scott%hwcs@ukc.uucp                   |
| Heriot-Watt University                                                     |
| 79 Grassmarket            "This time it was right, it would work, and      |
| Edinburgh  EH1 2HJ         no-one would have to get nailed to anything."   |
| United Kingdom            - Intro to The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy |

-----

--
David R. Kohr     M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratory      Group 45 ("Radars 'R' Us")
    email:    drk@ll.mit.edu (preferred)  or  drk@athena.mit.edu

nelson@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (J. Nelson Howell) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar22.235022.26410@athena.mit.edu> drk@athena.mit.edu (David R Kohr) writes:

>Scott Telford (scott%cs.hw.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk) recently announced
>on comp.windows.ms.programmer that a new mostly-bugfix version of
>MicroEMACS, v. 3.10m, was available on midas.mgmt.purdue.edu.  I asked him
>a few questions about the new version and future MicroEMACS development
>in general; I thought his responses would be of general interest to this
>group.
>
>>I can't FTP to midas.mgmt.purdue.edu; it denies access to user "anonymous".
>>Does this machine not allow anonymous FTP at all, or only at restricted
>>times?
>
>Dan says (in the article he posted to comp.emacs when v3.10e was
>released) that anonymous FTP is available "outside the hours of 8am to
>5:30pm central time". Also midas.mgmt.purdue.edu may also be
>zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu. [ ... ]

Midas is currently a pointer to zeus.  In the future (maybe, hopefully,
canicanicani???) there will be an actual machine behind the midas name.
Anonymous access to midas is restricted to the hours above except that it
is eastern standard time (no daylight saving here).

>>Also, what is the story on new MicroEMACS development?  Dan Lawrence told me
[ ... ]

>The last I heard about 3.11 was that it would be released before the end
>of last year(!).

Unfortunately, Dan has been busy on another project and has not had time to
answer many email requests.  His project will be on hold for the month of
April, and he will (or I will pester him until he does) get 3.11 out by the
end of April.  He has received a number of new features to incorporate,
including support for Windows 3.0.

>BTW, Dan posted an article to comp.emacs on March 10 (about the block
>mode command page) from the address dan@mdbs.uucp.

That address should work, but if it doesn't, you can mail to him at
dan@midas.mgmt.purdue.edu.

[ ... ]

>>Also, the documentation hasn't been updated in ages.  I've volunteered to
>>help with this (especially in production of a troff rather than SCRIBE
>>version of the manual), but Dan Lawrence hasn't been answering my messages
>>at all.
>
>A troff version would be more useful than Scribe-format, but I think TeX
>would be the best format to use (it seems to be superceding troff in
>most places). What *is* really needed though, is a properly-formatted
>ASCII version - the emacs.txt file with v3.10 is appalling!

The documentation is being re-written for 3.11.  Dan is working with a
technical writer on this part.  I don't know what the format will be, but
I plan to produce a PostScript version if Dan doesn't.

--

J. Nelson Howell                       | System Programmer
nelson@midas.mgmt.purdue.edu  Internet | Krannert Graduate School of Management