[comp.emacs] MicroGnuEmacs PC executables?

ktw@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (Ken Wolman) (03/20/91)

Curiosity question: is there an ftp-able version of MicroGnuEmacs (MG)
in executable form that runs on the IBM compatible PCs?  I found one
version on the "official" provider machine, utadnx.cc.texas.edu, but
after it's downloaded it refuses to run, claiming the program is too
big to fit in memory (just to be sure, I made sure everything else was
"turned off" when I tried to run it).

Ken Wolman

consp04@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Dan Boyd) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.124207.21184@cbfsb.att.com>,
ktw@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (Ken Wolman) writes:

|> Curiosity question: is there an ftp-able version of MicroGnuEmacs (MG)
|> in executable form that runs on the IBM compatible PCs?

	The version Mr. Wolman refers to turned out to be a VMS
binary.  Which is why it won't run on a PC.

	I want a MicroGnuEmacs binary also, with all the goodies.  I
can't get the source to a PC easily, and I can't compile it easily.
Nothing seems to work.

	If anyone can find such a thing, please tell me!  (And tell
Mr. Wolman, too.)

Daniel F. Boyd
consp04@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
CONTACT ALIENS BOTH BENEVOLENT AND EVIL!
DON'T STIR OR DISTURB THE RICE!
210526315789473684

stucki@math.fu-berlin.de (C. v. Stuckrad) (03/22/91)

consp04@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Dan Boyd) writes:

>	I want a MicroGnuEmacs binary also, with all the goodies.  I
>can't get the source to a PC easily, and I can't compile it easily.
>Nothing seems to work.
>
>	If anyone can find such a thing, please tell me!  (And tell
>Mr. Wolman, too.)

May be you POST the place where such a Goodie is !
Stucki.
--
 Christoph von Stuckrad      *  *   !  talk to   ! <stucki@math.fu-berlin.de>
 Freie Universitaet Berlin   |/__*  !  nickname  ! ...!unido!fub!leibniz!stucki

16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) (03/26/91)

In article <AY0O2OU@math.fu-berlin.de>, stucki@math.fu-berlin.de (C. v. Stuckrad) writes:
> consp04@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Dan Boyd) writes:
>

>>	I want a MicroGnuEmacs binary also, with all the goodies.  I
>>can't get the source to a PC easily, and I can't compile it easily.
>>Nothing seems to work.
>>
>>	If anyone can find such a thing, please tell me!  (And tell
>>Mr. Wolman, too.)
>
> May be you POST the place where such a Goodie is !

I've compiled mg2a for MS-DOS under Turbo C 2.0 (based on source files on
snow.white.toronto.edu) and uploaded the results to simtel20:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.EDITOR>
MG2A_EXE.ZIP  B   51265  910322  MicroGnuEmacs: GNU emacs-compat. editor, EXE
MG2A_SRC.ZIP  B  394600  910322  MicroGnuEmacs: GNU emacs-compat. editor, C src

Documentation is included with the source files and is in TeX format.

An initialization file can be specified in the following fashion:
	set mgstartup=c:\emacs\emacs.rc
By default the editor creates .bak files; this can be turned off by
including the line
	(make-backup-files)
in the initialization file.

Other than having compiled the code and making a few minor modifications
(principly to achieve a successful compile), I have nothing to do with mg.
Bitnet: gomme@uwovax.bitnet   gomme@uwovax.uwo.ca   Internet: gomme@uwo.ca