[comp.emacs] MicroEMACS screen sizes

harper@convex.com (David Harper) (03/28/91)

I'm using MicroEMACS 3.10 both at home (386 PC Clone / DOS 3.3) and at
work (Sun 3/60 / BSD) and I have a common 'problem' with both.  I would
like to be able to adjust the size of the screen that the editor uses.
At work, running Suntools, I can adjust the screen size to virtually
any shape I need.  At home, I can set the screen to any combination of
80/108/230 columns by 25/34/43/50 lines.  Is there any way to set
MicroEMACS up so that it uses the full screen?  I have tried both the
"change-screen-size" and "change-screen-width" commands but either I am
invoking them incorrectly or they are not doing what I want because neither
prompts for a value and both return without doing anything .  I have also
tried playing with the two environment variables ($pagelen & $curwidth)
but if I try to set them to something greater than the screen size I get
an "out of range" error.  Has anybody got any ideas how accomplish this
or can it not be done?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Harper    -     Convex Computer Corp.            E-mail address:
3000 Waterview Pky.  Richardson, TX 75081             harper@convex.COM
(214) 497-4525 (W)   (214) 727-4206 (H)

dan@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.184420.19530@convex.com> harper@convex.com (David Harper) writes:
	[talks about his inability to change screen size]

>Dave Harper    -     Convex Computer Corp.            E-mail address:
>3000 Waterview Pky.  Richardson, TX 75081             harper@convex.COM
>(214) 497-4525 (W)   (214) 727-4206 (H)

change-screen-width and change-screen-size only logically change what MicroEMACS
knows about. You must also physically change modes on the pc. Try setting the
$sres variable to values like "CGA", "EGA", and "VGA". This should give you
some more interesting results.

	BTW  to change the screen size smaller than the physical size, use
the mouse, click down on the lower right corner, move to a new position
and release.

		enjoy

			Daniel Lawrence  voice: (317) 742-5153
					  arpa:	dan@midas.mgmt.purdue.edu