[comp.emacs] One handed UNIX, Emacs for disabled person?

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (03/29/91)

Use an IBM PC as a terminal, and modify the BIOS so that the CTRL, ALT,
and SHIFT keys are "sticky" (they toggle on and off rather than having to
be depressed simultaneously with another key).  There exists a short
program which you can run (upon boot-up) to make them work this way.
The PC (a laptop, perhaps) could then be a terminal on any other computer.
Michael A. Covington | Artificial Intelligence Programs
The University of Georgia  |  Athens, GA 30602   U.S.A.

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (03/29/91)

Hello.  Has anybody got ideas for using mainframe UNIX or computers in
general for a disabled person with use of only the right hand?  I am
thinking of recommending a terminal with two "control" keys (e.g., the
Teletype 4425) instead of the usual one.  [Turning to editors:] Also
making heavy use of GNU Emacs numerical keypad programmability, but
then again perhaps running it in VI emulation to avoid the old
control-key finger stretch.  [Also perhaps having a control key prefix
character, just like ESC means "Meta-" ...]  The mouse also seems
important.  Of course there's the possibility of just using plain VI,
however I have not met the person yet and am not yet aware of their
future customization needs.

[also posted to misc.handicap [hopefully]]
--
Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM  Naperville IL USA  +1 708 979 6364

pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) (04/01/91)

In article <DANJ1.91Mar28132419@cbnewse.ATT.COM> Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM
writes:
> Hello.  Has anybody got ideas for using mainframe UNIX or computers in
> general for a disabled person with use of only the right hand?

The Apple Macintosh has sticky control key ability built into the OS.  One
of the terminal packages that I use, VersaTerm Pro, allows you to use the
mouse for moving around in vi or EMACS.  This requires a modifier key to
be held, but with the stickiness, this shouldn't be much of a problem.

I remember from the early days of microcomputers, when real programmers
used toggle switches and keyboards were outrageously expensive, there was
a one-handed ASCII keyboard.  It was a sphere with four finger buttons and
eight thumb buttons.  One was supposed to play a chord with the fingers,
giving eight bits, and then press one of the thumb buttons, giving three
more.  It was attractive to a lot of people because the small number of
moving parts made it cheap.  You might be able to find one used.  It would
take a lot of training to use, and it might be very hard to get any amount
of speed, but it's worth investigating.

I have no connection with any of these manufacturers.

Eric Pepke                                    INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                      SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                    BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.