[comp.emacs] "aggregate" tags files question

johnson@uhics.ics.hawaii.edu (03/30/91)

Rather than maintain separate tags files within each
directory where code resides, and then have to
manually set the tag file variable pointer in order
to meta-., I would like to maintain a single global
tags file that contains tag info for all my systems
under development.  Is there some way to do this
Thanks.

Philip Johnson (johnson@uhics.ics.hawaii.edu)
Department of Information and Computer Sciences
University of Hawaii
2565 The Mall
Honolulu, HI 96822
(808) 956-3489

johnd@Stardent.COM (John R. Dennis) (04/06/91)

In article <12208@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> johnson@uhics.ics.hawaii.edu writes:
>Rather than maintain separate tags files within each
>directory where code resides, and then have to
>manually set the tag file variable pointer in order
>to meta-., I would like to maintain a single global
>tags file that contains tag info for all my systems
>under development.  Is there some way to do this

Yes, all you have to do is add the full pathname to the filenames in the tag
files and then you can cat them together into one file. This is what I do. A
simple shell script will perform this task for you.

John
--
John Dennis

Graphics Software, PEX Project Leader