[comp.emacs] Please don't recommend proprietary software on this list.

rms@GNU.AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Stallman) (04/13/91)

The purpose of the GNU project is to promote the freedom to share
software.

Advertising a proprietary program and recommending people buy it does
not help--in fact, it tends to hurt.  So please don't promote
proprietary programs on GNU mailing lists.

If people refrain from asking for information about proprietary
programs, that will avoid leading other people into unthinkingly
posting any.

mrs@netcom.COM (Morgan Schweers) (04/14/91)

Some time ago rms@GNU.AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Stallman) happily mumbled:
>The purpose of the GNU project is to promote the freedom to share
>software.
>
>Advertising a proprietary program and recommending people buy it does
>not help--in fact, it tends to hurt.  So please don't promote
>proprietary programs on GNU mailing lists.
>
>If people refrain from asking for information about proprietary
>programs, that will avoid leading other people into unthinkingly
>posting any.

Greetings,
    Ummm...  Last time I checked, there were a lot of environments
not supported by GNU products.  There are some, in fact, that are
unlikely ever to be supported by GNU products.  Would it make sense
then to request that people limit recommending proprietary products
to only those environments not supported?

    Generally, the GNU software is excellent and great to use, BUT
if it's not available, then I'd like something that works as near
to it as possible.  This often means resorting to proprietary
products.  Can you tell me why this is so bad?

                                                --  Morgan Schweers
+------
   My company president:  GNU?  What's that?
   mrs@netcom.com      :  GNU's Not Unix.
   My company president:  GNU?  What's that?
   ....   You get the idea.
------+

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (04/16/91)

>Advertising a proprietary program and recommending people buy it does
>not help--in fact, it tends to hurt.  So please don't promote
>proprietary programs on GNU mailing lists.

From this end, this is >comp.emacs<, a newsgroup intended for the discussion
of emacsy editors of *all* sorts.  If you don't believe in the freedom of
people to use something that you didn't write, then don't gateway your lists
to this newsgroup.

datri@convex.com

jbw@bigbird.bu.edu (Joe Wells) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr16.002316.13679@convex.com> datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) writes:

   >Advertising a proprietary program and recommending people buy it does
   >not help--in fact, it tends to hurt.  So please don't promote
   >proprietary programs on GNU mailing lists.

   From this end, this is >comp.emacs<, a newsgroup intended for the discussion
   of emacsy editors of *all* sorts.

Folks, please learn to check the "Newsgroups:" header line when posting!

This message is crossposted to two newsgroups.  The "Newsgroups:" header
contains:

    gnu.emacs.help,comp.emacs

two newsgroups.  The first one is "gnu.emacs.help".  Please don't send
messages recommending non-free software to the first.  If you feel an
urgent need to post a message recommending a non-free piece of software,
please delete any newsgroup name containing "gnu" from the "Newsgroups:"
header before posting.

Everyone will be much happier if this advice is followed!

(Flames may kindly be sent to the nearest black hole.)

--
Joe Wells <jbw@cs.bu.edu>