[comp.emacs] OS/2 2.0 is here!!! READ THIS, you'll be impressed.

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (04/21/91)

In article <COLIN.91Apr18115900@nbc1.ge.com> colin@nbc1.ge.com (Colin Rafferty) writes:
>4. Brief by Solution Systems.  This is what I'm buying.  It has the
>   functionality of Emacs with the only real adjustment being
>   bindings.

Don't do it!!!  OS/2 2.0 is here and it's GREAT!  Its 32 bit flat address
space will make porting the real Emacs much easier for whoever is doing
it.  Unless of course you can't wait just a little longer for the Real Emacs.

Here's a summary of the summary of OS/2 2.0 that was presented to the media
last week.

The unnofficial motto is "A better DOS than DOS, a better Windows than
Windows, and a better OS/2 than OS/2."

They finally got DOS compatibility big time.  You can run multiple DOS
boxes simultaneously, and they can even be different versions of DOS!
(Need to run an old spread sheet that only runs under DOS 1.1?  No
problem!)  They can be run in full screen or in a window (just like Windows
3.0 in 386 enhanced mode), and in the demo each DOS box had 620K free
*after* (yes, that's AFTER) a multitude of device drivers were loaded.  And
of course they can be cutted from / pasted to.

Not enough?  How about being able to run Windows 2.x and 3.x programs
NATIVELY?  (ie, *without* starting up a DOS box).  And of course it runs
them pre-emptively and makes them look like any other OS/2 2.0 application.
And no more dreaded Unrecoverable Application Errors.  This gives OS/2
access to the multitude of decent apps for Windows 2.x and 3.x.  And with
a decent, *efficient* scheduler.  (Downloading at 9600bps on my 33MHz 386
takes 30% of my processor time under Windows 3.0!  It shouldn't take more
than 5%.)

Not enough?  How about being able to run OS/2 1.x 16-bit apps side by
side with your 32 bit 2.0 apps (and the Windows and DOS apps)?

Not enough?  How about a price of $150 US for the standard edition?  In
a box about the size of MS-DOS (no more hernias carrying OS/2 home)?  How
about an upgrade price of $99 for registered DOS and OS/2 1.0/1/2 users?
How about a FREE upgrade for registered OS/2 1.3 owners?

Big Blue has finally come home with OS/2 2.0  Hope it stamps out Windows
and DOS for good!

In the demo given to the media, they had OS/2 2.0 running with multiple
versions of DOS running a communications program doing a transfer, a midi
program playing some music, a couple Windows 2.x and 3.x apps, a couple
OS/2 1.x apps, and of course some 2.0 apps, all on a 2 Meg laptop!  (I
haven't seen the demo or the video of it, I've only seen it described.
I presume only about half of the things mentioned above were running
concurrently.  But I could be wrong.)

How do I know all this?  I'm working as a Co-op student at IBM Canada
this year (and yes, all the info above is public now so [I hope] I can
broadcast it).  Let me tell you it has some of OS/2's most vociferous
critics INTERNALLY saying things like "I'm finally proud to be an IBMer
again."  IBM is admitting it's made some big blunders with OS/2 in the
past, and they're really trying hard to change that.  Most important
is the real change that's happenining inside; but most critical to the
business, it's trying to convince the world that these changes are real.

Anyway, that was a cheap lead-in to tell you that Emacs should be quite
portable to OS/2 now.  (The REAL Emacs, GNU Emacs!)  Go buy 2.0!

--
NOTICE: Due to the complexity of nearly all topics, the opinions expressed
above are in continual process of formation and may be changed without notice.

Wayne Hayes     INTERNET: wayne@csri.utoronto.ca        CompuServe: 72401,3525

ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr21.121436.27064@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) writes:

>Don't do it!!!  OS/2 2.0 is here and it's GREAT!  Its 32 bit flat address
>space will make porting the real Emacs much easier for whoever is doing
>it.  Unless of course you can't wait just a little longer for the Real Emacs.

It isn't really here yet.  4th quarter of 91 is the expected ship time,
from what I've been reading.  But lots of beta test copies should be
going out really soon.

But for the original question, waiting for 2.0 and then waiting for somebody
to port emacs might be a bit long.  1.3 is here now, as are the various
editors mentioned.  And some of us think they are better than emacs.

>Let me tell you it has some of OS/2's most vociferous
>critics INTERNALLY saying things like "I'm finally proud to be an IBMer
>again."
There seem to be a lot of people getting whiplash from the sudden U-turn
they're making about the future of OS/2.  I'm already seeing
"Windows is dead" messages on Compuserve.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-822-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1Z2  |      Fax: 604-822-5116

tok@slammer.UUCP (Terry Kane) (04/22/91)

Absolutely!

The announcement/demo was might impressive according to people who saw it.
I'm reporting what I've seen on IBM's NSC user group bbs:
    Running three DOS apps, each requiring oddball devices/drivers
    (MIDI, hand scanner, SatisFAXtion boards/devices) concurrently,
    with NO Problem d00d!

    A "bad program" written for DOS to crash under Windows 3.0 and OS/2 2.0.
    Windows had to reboot. OS/2 2.00 allowed termination of the failing ap
    and you went on your merry way as if nothing had happened.

    The DOS version of Microsoft Flight Simulator running under OS/2 2.0!

    Windows apps scrolling much smoother due to preemptive multitasking!

    Windows apps getting a head start under dos on the same app under OS/2
    and the OS/2 instance finishing 25-30 seconds faster than the dos.

Well, *I* didn't see the tape, but these reports have got me fired up!

But wait, there's more!

The folks at the NSC are going to set up an add'l bbs to - get this -
    allow commoners to download Beta versions and CSDs of version 2.00
    for the cost of the phone call!  It will (reportedly) take 5 hours
    at 9600 baud, and will be a toll call to Atlanta, but I'm waiting
    with bated breath!  This might be a bit much to post, if the terms
    of the download allow redistribution, but we'll see what happens.
    I'm going to snarf it... it's a local call for me. Perhaps someone
    with an FTP site will send me diskettes...

So long Windows!!!

tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (04/23/91)

In article <932@slammer.UUCP>, tok@slammer.UUCP (Terry Kane) writes:

> Absolutely!
>
> The announcement/demo was might impressive according to people who saw it.
> I'm reporting what I've seen on IBM's NSC user group bbs:
>     Running three DOS apps, each requiring oddball devices/drivers
>     (MIDI, hand scanner, SatisFAXtion boards/devices) concurrently,
>     with NO Problem d00d!
>
>     A "bad program" written for DOS to crash under Windows 3.0 and OS/2 2.0.
>     Windows had to reboot. OS/2 2.00 allowed termination of the failing ap
>     and you went on your merry way as if nothing had happened.
>
>     The DOS version of Microsoft Flight Simulator running under OS/2 2.0!
>
>     Windows apps scrolling much smoother due to preemptive multitasking!
>
>     Windows apps getting a head start under dos on the same app under OS/2
>     and the OS/2 instance finishing 25-30 seconds faster than the dos.
>

> Well, *I* didn't see the tape, but these reports have got me fired up!
>
> But wait, there's more!
>
> The folks at the NSC are going to set up an add'l bbs to - get this -
>     allow commoners to download Beta versions and CSDs of version 2.00
>     for the cost of the phone call!  It will (reportedly) take 5 hours
>     at 9600 baud, and will be a toll call to Atlanta, but I'm waiting
>     with bated breath!  This might be a bit much to post, if the terms
>     of the download allow redistribution, but we'll see what happens.
>     I'm going to snarf it... it's a local call for me. Perhaps someone
>     with an FTP site will send me diskettes...
>

> So long Windows!!!

when I start playing with the RELEASE version and not a beta version then I
will believe it...

tim
international IS&DP
3M, Inc.