[comp.emacs] Building GNU emacs

smartin@iemisi.UUCP (Stephen Martin) (07/16/88)

I just got my hands on a copy of GNU emacs and am trying to install it on an
Integrated Solutions ISI V24 running 4.3 BSD.  The date on the files is
approx. Jul 15, 1985, I don't know what version (maybe 16?).  Anyway,
when i try to build it, the make craps out on the file process.c at
line 893 (a function declaration).  Has this happened to anyone else?
Is this version of Emacs very out of date?  I have looked at the
file and cannot see what the problem is, so if anyone has a suggestion
or has run into the same problem could they please let me know.
                                         thanx

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (07/19/88)

In article <101@iemisi.UUCP> smartin@iemisi.UUCP (Stephen Martin) writes:
>I just got my hands on a copy of GNU emacs ...  approx. Jul 15, 1985,
>I don't know what version (maybe 16?) ... Is this version of Emacs
>very out of date?

Yes.  Approximately three years of concerted development effort by a
lot of very capable people has gone into Emacs since that tape was
cut.  Please scrap what you've got and get the current version
(18.51).  You'll save yourself a lot of trouble.
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!{att,pyramid,killer}!cis.ohio-state.edu!bob

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (05/12/91)

I've just installed emacs 18.57 on an SGI PI 4D/25 at the request of
several users and found the installation process baffling.  I have some
questions which perhaps some guru can clarify.

1. I want to support both X-terminals and regular terminals.  To do this
   I had to compile the X version, rename it to xemacs, then edit
   config.h and do another compile to get a non-X version.  Is it
   possible to have a single binary support both kinds of terminals?

2. Why does emacs move its own source code around?  I made it from
   /usr/src/gnu/emacs and when I tried to recompile it the directory was
   missing.  I finally tracked down all the source code in
   /usr/local/emacs.  In fact, I found two complete copies in separate
   subdirectories (src and emacs-18.57/src).  It also generated many
   different copies of the help file and so on.  Is there some easy way
   of stripping down the excess files?
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577