[comp.emacs] GNU Emacs gets another convert

mvp@hsv3.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (05/08/91)

In article <DANJ1.91May2213247@cbnewse.ATT.COM> Dan_Jacobson@ihlpz.ATT.COM writes:
>Another convert!  Ken, here's what I found in etc/DISTRIB.

I used to sometimes use emacs, especially to clean junk out of a
directory with dired.  But we've moved to SPARCs, and a build of emacs
18.55, though it completes without error, produces a binary which does
nothing but print the message "error 6, core dumped".  (Plus create the
proverbial 8MEG dump file, of course.)  If I had time to debug it, I
would, but I don't, so I continue to use vi.  (In general, I like vi
better anyway, but I do like dired, and some of the users occasionally
bug me about when emacs will be available again.)
--
Mike Van Pelt                                 "Hey, hey, ho ho,
Headland Technology/Video 7                   Western culture's got to go."

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (05/09/91)

In article <8515@hsv3.UUCP> mvp@hsv3.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
   ...a build of emacs 18.55 ... "error 6, core dumped".  If I had
   time to debug it, I would...

It's a bug in the SunOS localtime.o, and the workaround was posted to
gnu.emacs.bug within a week after SunOS 4.1 hit the streets.

   some of the users occasionally bug me about when emacs will be
   available again.

As soon as you either (a) install the "Emacs 18.55 on SunOS 4.1" patch
that used to be referred to in the gnu.emacs.help FAQ, or even better
(b) update to 18.57, where it's taken care of.

root@ttsi.lonestar.org (System) (05/10/91)

In article <8515@hsv3.UUCP> mvp@hsv3.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
>In article <DANJ1.91May2213247@cbnewse.ATT.COM> Dan_Jacobson@ihlpz.ATT.COM writes:
>>Another convert!  Ken, here's what I found in etc/DISTRIB.
>
>I used to sometimes use emacs, especially to clean junk out of a
>directory with dired.  But we've moved to SPARCs, and a build of emacs
>18.55, though it completes without error, produces a binary which does
>nothing but print the message "error 6, core dumped".  (Plus create the
>proverbial 8MEG dump file, of course.)  If I had time to debug it, I
>would, but I don't, so I continue to use vi.  (In general, I like vi
>better anyway, but I do like dired, and some of the users occasionally
>bug me about when emacs will be available again.)
>--
>Mike Van Pelt                                 "Hey, hey, ho ho,

It's been about six months, but if memory serves me, this problem can
be corrected by defining a symbol SYSTEM_MALLOC in config.h telling
it to use the standard library malloc instead of GNU malloc.  This
certainly fixed some problem which might be the same one you're
experiencing.

--
Mark S. Evans                 Tandem Telecommunications Systems Inc.
Phone: 214-516-6201           850 E. Central Parkway

mvp@hsv3.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May9.221052.7776@ttsi.lonestar.org> root@ttsi.lonestar.org (System) writes:
>In article <8515@hsv3.UUCP> mvp@hsv3.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
>> [ emacs "error 6, core dumped" under SunOS 4.1.1 ]

>It's been about six months, but if memory serves me, this problem can
>be corrected by defining a symbol SYSTEM_MALLOC in config.h  ...

That did it!  Thanks to everyone who responded with the fix,
either this one or moving to 18.57.

Several of the users here insist that vi causes brain damage,
(Fortunately, I seem to be immune.  Sun's texted, on the
other hand...)  and they're very happy to have emacs back.
Personally, I still like vi better.
--
Mike Van Pelt                     "Something is happening here,
Headland Technology/Video 7        What it is ain't exactly clear..."