[comp.emacs] Micro emacs

aaa@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Adams) (07/11/87)

A friend of mine has a problem with microemacs 3.8 and 3.8i.  When
he installs it on a vax 11/780 and attempts to use it with a televideo
terminal, spaces are inserted in the text.  But, after doing a screen
refresh the spaces are no longer there.  An example, when typing,
the text comes out l i k e   t h i s.  But after a screen refresh,
the text is like this.  This problem only occurs on televideo
terminals. Has anyone else encountered this problem?  If so, could
you please respond by e-mail.

Anthony A. Adams    	E-MAIL : {anywhere}!ihnp4!ihlpm!aaa
			PHONE  : (312) 979-2905
			US-MAIL: AT&T Bell Laboratories
				 IH 4B-327
			         Naperville-Wheaton Rd
			         Naperville, IL 60566

aaa@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Adams) (07/11/87)

Does anyone know how to do key bindings for a vt100?  I have microemacs
3.8i and I cannot get the key bindings to work properly with a
vt100.  Please respond by e-mail.

				Thanks in advance

george@rebel.UUCP (George M. Sipe) (07/12/87)

In article <1249@ihlpm.ATT.COM> aaa@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Adams) writes:
>A friend of mine has a problem with microemacs 3.8 and 3.8i.  When
>he installs it on a vax 11/780 and attempts to use it with a televideo
>terminal, spaces are inserted in the text.  But, after doing a screen
>refresh the spaces are no longer there.  An example, when typing,
>the text comes out l i k e   t h i s.  But after a screen refresh,
>the text is like this.  This problem only occurs on televideo
>terminals. Has anyone else encountered this problem?  If so, could
>you please respond by e-mail.

As distributed, MicroEMACS does not support terminals which have
embedded attributes.  That is the case with many TeleVideo terminals.
The symptoms you have observed result from this.

The fix:  use my recently posted 'standout' patches.  If you missed
them, send me mail and I'll mail them to you.  With the patches
installed, not only will MicroEMACS work on embedded attribute
terminals, but it will work better on ALL terminals (it also has a bug,
whereby it sets the cursor position after each keystroke even when this
is not necessary).
--
George M. Sipe,		Phone: (404) 662-1533
Tolerant Systems, 6961 Peachtree Industrial, Norcross, GA  30071

rod@cpocd2.UUCP (Rod Rebello) (07/13/87)

In article <1250@ihlpm.ATT.COM> aaa@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Adams) writes:
>Does anyone know how to do key bindings for a vt100?  I have microemacs
>3.8i and I cannot get the key bindings to work properly with a
>vt100.  Please respond by e-mail.

I would also like to know how to do this.

	Rod Rebello
	...!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!rod

mike@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) (07/15/87)

In article <782@cpocd2.UUCP> rod@cpocd2.UUCP (Rod Rebello) writes:
>In article <1250@ihlpm.ATT.COM> aaa@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Adams) writes:
>>Does anyone know how to do key bindings for a vt100?  I have microemacs
>>3.8i and I cannot get the key bindings to work properly with a
>>vt100.  Please respond by e-mail.
>>

>I would also like to know how to do this.

I would like to know how also. Could someone reply by email or to the
net?

Michael Lodman
Advanced Development
E & M San Diego

jimb@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Jim Boland) (07/17/87)

In article <149@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM> mike@ivory.UUCP (Michael Lodman) writes:
>>In article <1250@ihlpm.ATT.COM> aaa@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Adams) writes:
>>>Does anyone know how to do key bindings for a vt100?  I have microemacs
>>>3.8i and I cannot get the key bindings to work properly with a
>>>vt100.
>I would like to know how also. Could someone reply by email or to the
>net?
Back before Dan Lawrence took over microemacs and it was just a few files,
I rewrote getkey and added a few procedures to main.c  I wanted microemacs
to work with a VT100 and to emulate EDT.  It worked fine.  Unfortunately,
I no longer have it on disk although I do have a hard copy printout.
Basically, The problem comes from recognizing the keypad.  The procedures
for acquiring keystrokes involves getting only control characters, single
characters, and Meta characters.  If Microemacs sees the metacode, it goes
back and gets the next character.  You need to make it go back once more
for the VT100 keypad.  VT100  keystrokes  are in the sequence "ESC-O-xx"
where xx is the actual key.  ME only will see the meta then the O.  So, if
you have a vt100, you need to go further.  You also want to remove the case
insensitivity for Control characters.  Also, you need to build a procedure
that will go back for another keystroke when the PF1 (GOLD) key is hit.

It can be done but you need to do some modifying of various files.
Another way to start now would be to take vt52.c and modify it, making a
vt100.c file.  You would then have to go through all the .c and .h files
and modify them accordingly wherever they address vt52.

I did the modifications three years ago because I needed a decent editor
to use under the Uniflex operating system.  Fortunately, I did not require
usage of that for the last year and hence never upgraded that version of
microemacs when Dan took it over.

I could probably copy the pertinent portions of my listings and USmail them
to interested parties if you respond by e-mail.

jim boland
tektronix!tekigm2!jimb

phil@sci.UUCP (Phil Kaufman) (07/19/87)

Various folks have expressed an interest in vt100 keypad and other special
keys for microemacs. I have a set of changes to microemacs 3.8 that do
just this. However, as Lawrence says that 3.9 will be out soon, I'd prefer
to work the fixes into the new version before distributing unless there
is huge demand asap.

bh0r@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU (Rob Logan) (07/20/87)

If Lawrence included the Z100 stuff I sent him in MicroEmacs 3.9 the
Zenith 100 supports the keypad.

				Rob
bh0r@clutx.clarkson.edu

rh@cs.paisley.ac.uk (Robert Hamilton) (07/22/87)

In article <782@cpocd2.UUCP> rod@cpocd2.UUCP (Rod Rebello) writes:
>In article <1250@ihlpm.ATT.COM> aaa@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Adams) writes:
>>Does anyone know how to do key bindings for a vt100?  I have microemacs
>>3.8i and I cannot get the key bindings to work properly with a
>>vt100.  Please respond by e-mail.

I hacked this for a BSD4.3 system, using tcap.c
I don't have the origonal files so no diff,
but these should give the idea...
You get the arrow keys,Function keys and numeric keypad bound
to FN* stuff which you can use in your .emacsrc .
In tcap.c get KU,KD etc from tgetstr.
and insert these functions: (call arrowkeys fom main)
===============tcap.c====
arrowkeys()	/* bind arrow keys if string is 2 or 1 chars */
		/* added rh@paisley.cs */
{
if (KU==NULL) return;
if (strlen(KU)<3) { /* ok doit but not for the ansis which
			are set up by default we hope */
		arrowbind(forwline,KD);
		arrowbind(backchar,KL);
		arrowbind(backline,KU);
		arrowbind(forwchar,KR);
	}
}
arrowbind(func,keys)
int (*func)();
char *keys;
{
	int c=0;
	int d=0;
	register KEYTAB *ktp;
	int found;
	ktp= &keytab[0];
	found= FALSE;
	/* first translate keys into c */
	if (strlen(keys)==1) d= *keys;
	else if (keys[0]== 0x1b) 	/* escape prefix */
		{c=META; d=keys[1];}
	else if (keys[0]=='\030') { c==CTLX; d=keys[1];} /*ctlx prefix*/
	if (d>=0x00 && d<=0x1F)
                d = CTRL | (d+'@'); /* ctl prefix on last char */
        c |= d;
	while (ktp->k_fp != NULL) {
		if (ktp->k_code == c) {
			found = TRUE;
			break;
		}
		++ktp;
	}
	if (found) ktp->k_fp = func;
	else {
			if (ktp >= &keytab[NBINDS]) {
			mlwrite("Binding table FULL!");
			return(FALSE);
		}

		ktp->k_code = c;	/* add keycode */
		ktp->k_fp = func;	/* and the function pointer */
		++ktp;			/* and make sure the next is null */
		ktp->k_code = 0;
		ktp->k_fp = NULL;
	}
	return(TRUE);

}

and in input.c change make this change to getcmd:
==============input.c=====
getcmd()

{
	int c;		/* fetched keystroke */

	/* get initial character */
	c = get1key();
#if TERMCAP
/* hack to translate ansi arrow keys esc-o-[a-d] to FN
   and function keys escop-s to spec5-8
   added rh@paisley.cs
*/	if (c == metac) { int d=get1key();
		if (d=='[') {/*mapping arrow keys;*/
		if (islower(d)) d ^=DIFCASE;
			d=get1key();
			return(SPEC | d);
			}
		if (d=='O') {d=get1key();
			return(SPEC |d);
			}
		else  {
			if (islower(d)) d ^=DIFCASE;
			return(META | d);
		}
		}
#else
	/* process META prefix */
	if (c == metac) {
		c = get1key();
	        if (islower(c))		/* Force to upper */
        	        c ^= DIFCASE;
	        if (c>=0x00 && c<=0x1F)		/* control key */
	        	c = CTRL | (c+'@');
		return(META | c);
	}
#endif
	/* process CTLX prefix */
	if (c == ctlxc) {
		c = get1key();
	        if (c>='a' && c<='z')		/* Force to upper */
        	        c -= 0x20;
	        if (c>=0x00 && c<=0x1F)		/* control key */
	        	c = CTRL | (c+'@');
		return(CTLX | c);
	}

	/* otherwise, just return it */
	return(c);
}

--
JANET:  rh@uk.ac.paisley.cs		| Computing Science
EMAIL:	rh@cs.paisley.ac.uk		| Paisley College

greg@xios.XIOS.UUCP (Greg Franks) (07/27/87)

>>In article <1250@ihlpm.ATT.COM> aaa@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Adams) writes:
>>>Does anyone know how to do key bindings for a vt100?  I have microemacs
>>>3.8i and I cannot get the key bindings to work properly with a
>>>vt100.
>I would like to know how also. Could someone reply by email or to the
>net?

The trick we use here is a SMOP.  If you have curses, you can wedge in a
terminfo handler (start from the tcap.c file and hack away).  Turn the
keypad on.  Curses will then map the escape sequences found in the
terminfo database into stuff like 0400 - 0533.  If the character falls
into that range, zap off the excess bits and OR in the FUNCTION bit.
You can then bind the keypad in as FNA, FN^A etc etc etc.  We
also have terminals that have a META key so we map them too.

tinfogetc()
{
	register int c;

	c = wgetch( stdscr );
	if ( 0x0080 <= c && c <  0x0100 ) {
		c &= 0x7f;		/* Mask off crap	*/
		c = toupper( c );
		if ( 0x00 <= c  && c <= 0x1f )
			c |= CTRL | 0x0040;

		c |= META;		/* note meta prefix	*/

	} else if ( 0x0101 <= c && c <= 0x0FFF ) {
		c &= 0x7f;		/* Mask off crap.	*/

		/* Curses has returned a special function key.	*/
		/* Zap off the high bit and OR in SPECIAL	*/
		/* designation.	 Control characters are have 	*/
		/* both the SPECIAL and CONTROL designators set	*/

		if ( 0x00 <= c  && c <= 0x1f )
			c |= CTRL | 0x0040;

		c |= SPEC;
	}

	return( c );
}

We also permit remap of the search terminator.  Meta is on PF1, and the
search terminator is on <ENTER>.  If there is enough interest, I'll post
the whole file (and diffs).

*** Please note that I am using uemacs 3.8i on a SYS V machine ***
--
Greg Franks             XIOS Systems Corporation, 1600 Carling Avenue,
(613) 725-5411          Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Z 8R8

phil@sci.UUCP (Phil Kaufman) (11/21/87)

We missed parts 1 thru 7 of emacs 3.9 here. Could someone please repost.
Also, does anyone know if the posted uemacs is the original 3.9 or the
newest 3.9e?

DEDOUREK@UNB.BITNET (11/24/87)

Are the recently posted sources of micro emacs (posted to
comp.sources.misc I believe) archived at any of the LISTSERV
sites on BITNET?

John DeDourek
Professor of Computer Science

School of Computer Science
University of New Brunswick
P.O. Box 4400
Fredericton, New Brunswick, CANADA  E3B 5A3
(506) 453-4566

Electronic mail:
DEDOUREK@UNBMVS1.BITNET  -- BITNET/NETNORTH

THOMAS_KENTON_DONALDSON@cup.portal.com (12/22/87)

A related question. I'm looking for a port of microemacs to SCO Xenix.
I want a compile-link-and-go version, don't want to port it unless necessary.
Can anyone out there help?

hirayama@suvax1.UUCP (Pat Hirayama) (02/17/88)

Hello world!

I was wondering if anyone out there had:

(a)	Source for MicroEMACS.  As I understand it, it is in C.
(b)	Documentation for MicroEMACS.

And would be willing to share it with me?

Please e-mail me BEFORE you send it (I don't think that sending
along the same thing many times across UUCP lines would make the
people who pay for these links very happy).

Thanks,

 Pat Hirayama		UUCP:    ...!uw-entropy!dataio!suvax1!hirayama
 Seattle University	USNail:  28625-47th Pl S, Auburn, WA 98001-1140
 Class of 1988		Phone:	 (206) 946-0833

 ". . . the starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible
  manifestations of humanity's stubborn insistence that life does indeed
  mean something."
				Spock
				Final Frontier

hirayama@suvax1.UUCP (Pat Hirayama) (02/24/88)

Hello world!

A couple of weeks ago I requested the sources and documentation for
MicroEmacs 3.9e.  I wish to thank all of you who responded, especially
tim@pilchuck who sent them over here via uucp.

As such, I am posting this article to let all of you know that I no
longer have any need for the sources requested, since I now have them.

Thanks again,

 Pat Hirayama		UUCP:    ...!uw-entropy!dataio!suvax1!hirayama
 Seattle University	USNail:  28625-47th Pl S, Auburn, WA 98001-1140
 Class of 1988		Phone:	 (206) 946-0833

 ". . . the starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible
  manifestations of humanity's stubborn insistence that life does indeed
  mean something."
				Spock
				Final Frontier

jmleonar@CRDEC-VAX2.ARPA (jle) (02/26/88)

To whom...

Where can I find a copy of the latest MicroEMACS (Version 3.9e?) that can
be obtained by anonymous FTP?

                                      Thanks in advance!

                                          Joe Leonard
                                     <jmleonar@crdec.arpa>

V999PJ9W@UBVMS.BITNET (Malaysian) (06/15/88)

Hello,
   Does anybody knows where can I get a copy of MicroEmacs source code?

Thank you

Sher C. Foon-Fang

Bitnet: V999PJ9W@UBVMS
Internet: V999PJ9W.UBVMSA.CC.BUFFALO.EDU

mdb@silvlis.COM (Mark D. Baushke) (06/18/88)

>  Date: Tue, 14 Jun 88 15:53 EST
>  From: Malaysian <sun!mitvma.mit.edu!V999PJ9W%UBVMS.BITNET>
>  Subject: MicroEmacs
>  To: info-gnu-emacs@prep.ai.mit.edu
>
>  Hello,
>     Does anybody knows where can I get a copy of MicroEmacs source code?
>
>  Thank you
>
>  Sher C. Foon-Fang
>
>  Bitnet: V999PJ9W@UBVMS
>  Internet: V999PJ9W.UBVMSA.CC.BUFFALO.EDU

Try sending a mail message to info-server@sh.cs.net with the following
message body:

	Request: mod.sources
	Topic: micrognu
	Request: end

The info-server will mail you the source code in 11 shar files.

For more information on the info-server send a message body:

	Request: mod.sources
	Topic: index
	Request: info
	Topic: help
	Request: end

Enjoy!
Mark D. Baushke                 Internet:    mdb%silvlis.com@sun.com
Silvar-Lisco, Inc.              Nameservers: mdb@silvlis.com
1080 Marsh Road                 Usenet:      {pyramid,sun}!silvlis!mdb
Menlo Park, CA 94025-1053       Telephone:   +1 415 853-6411 / +1 415 969-8328

JPLILER@SIMTEL20.ARPA (John R. Pliler) (06/18/88)

You can obtain the sources for MicroEmacs 3.9e at j.cc.purdue.edu in
the pub directory.  The file is microemacs.tar.Z (compressed tar format)
and is around 380K.  You can get it thru anonymous ftp..

John
-------

othar@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Othar Hansson) (09/03/88)

I need a free, distributable Emacs-like editor for IBM PCs, which has a Lisp
mode with reasonable features.  I need this for a class that I'm teaching soon.

Do any of {jove,micrognu,microemacs,freemacs} have a Lisp mode?  Or are their
macro languages close enough to GNU that I can port/write one myself in two
weeks?  Thanks in advance.
--

Othar Hansson
( othar@cs.ucla.edu

rogers@orion.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) (01/05/89)

I have downloaded MicroEMACS ver 3.9 from the simtel archive,
but It makes me hit ESC then X for M-X.
I would much rather hit the ALT and X at the same time, like on unix
(on a SUN the LEFT and RIGHT keys are the same as the ALT key)

I have seen 4 different versions of EMACS for the PC, and I want to
settle with one. microEMACS looks like the best to me.

If someone can tell me how to fix the alt key or tell me of a better
emacs for IBM PC compatables, I would greatly appriciate it.

'Seek out new life and civilizations'	| Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC
					| Internet: rogers@src.honeywell.com
       "Honey, come see what I   	| UUCP: rogers@srcsip.uucp
        found in the refrigerator!"	| !: {umn-cs,ems,bthpyb}!srcsip!rogers

in article <14312@srcsip.UUCP>, rogers@orion.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) says:
> I have downloaded MicroEMACS ver 3.9 from the simtel archive,
> but It makes me hit ESC then X for M-X.
> I would much rather hit the ALT and X at the same time, like on unix
> (on a SUN the LEFT and RIGHT keys are the same as the ALT key)

Without some major modifications to the source it's a no go. The ALT key
doesn't generate an ASCII character input whereas ESC does. Any key that
sends in an character to the machine could be used for META, but ALT is
just a shift key on a PC.

MicroEMACS is the best Emacs I've seen other than GNU. The great thing
about MicroEMACS is that you can have the same editor running both at
home and at work.

John H. Lawitzke      UUCP: ...rutgers!mailrus!frith!fciiho!jhl
Michigan Farm Bureau        ...decvax!purdue!mailrus!frith!fciiho!jhl
Insurance Group             ...uunet!frith!jhl
"My other computer is an IBM RT Model 135"

nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (01/06/89)

In article <14312@srcsip.UUCP> rogers@orion.UUCP (Brynn Rogers) writes:
>I have downloaded MicroEMACS ver 3.9 from the simtel archive,
>but It makes me hit ESC then X for M-X.
>I would much rather hit the ALT and X at the same time, like on unix
>(on a SUN the LEFT and RIGHT keys are the same as the ALT key)

	As has been explained here before... the IBM-PC keyboard
with the ALT key does not map all the various shift and control
combinations.  Thus it is not possible to use the ALT key as a
straight META key like on the terminals where such a key is provided.
IE the ALT key overides both the shift key and the control key
so the BIOS can not tell the difference between Alt-A and Alt-a
and Alt-^A.  This makes this a not usefull shoice for meta.

	It would be possible, on a TRUE BLUE to go all the
way down to the hardware to impliment this, but this would make it fail
on most other MSDOS machines, and is really contrary to the portibility
of MicroEMACS as a whole.

	<other praise deleted....>

>'Seek out new life and civilizations'	| Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC
>					| Internet: rogers@src.honeywell.com
>       "Honey, come see what I   	| UUCP: rogers@srcsip.uucp
>        found in the refrigerator!"	| !: {umn-cs,ems,bthpyb}!srcsip!rogers

					Daniel Lawrence
					(317) 742-5153 nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu
					The Programmer's Room Fido 1:201/10
					(317) 742-5533

shurr@cbnews.ATT.COM (Larry A. Shurr) (01/06/89)

In article <14312@srcsip.UUCP> rogers@orion.UUCP (Brynn Rogers) writes:
>I have downloaded MicroEMACS ver 3.9 from the simtel archive,
>but It makes me hit ESC then X for M-X.
>I would much rather hit the ALT and X at the same time, like on unix
>(on a SUN the LEFT and RIGHT keys are the same as the ALT key)

>If someone can tell me how to fix the alt key or tell me of a better
>emacs for IBM PC compatables, I would greatly appriciate it.

Personally, I think that MicroEMACS is the best PC emacs (among the
freebies, at least - I have never even tried any of the pay-for PC
emacses (emacsi?), one of these MAY be better - they had better be
at those prices).  NOTE: by way of disclaimer, waiver, and cowardice
in the face of an overwhelming flame threat, I want to say that I
regard editor preference as a personal matter and that there is no
need for us to agree on this issue or for one or the other of us to
be 'right' and the other 'wrong'.  If anyone out there has anything
useful or helpful to say, by all means, please send mail.  I will not,
however, debate the issue and all flames will be sent down the cloaca.

To accomplish something similar to what you want, I have simply used a
series of "bind-to-key" commands in my emacs.rc file.  For example, to
bind ALT-X to behave the same as Meta-X, I use the command "bind-to-key
execute-named-command FN-" in emacs.rc.  Similarly, I bind ALT-O to
behave the same as Meta-O using "bind-to-key next-window FN^X".

The FN notation is regrettably rather cumbersome.  I find out what FN
to use by binding the key interactively first since emacs displays the
complete command including the appropriate FN code.  Sometimes the
result is a non-keyboard character such as an "a-umlaut".  For these,
you have to look up the decimal code for that character and then press-
and-hold ALT while you enter the code as three decimal digits USING THE
NUMERIC KEYPAD KEYS when you enter the bind-to-key command into your
emacs.rc file using your editor (MicroEMACS, of course).

This is NOT a generalized solution in which all ALT-<key> combinations
are automatically interpreted as Meta-<key>.  To accomplish that, you
would have to modify the keyboard input routine.  I was considering
doing this, but I found that the "bind-to-key approach" was adequate
for my purposes.

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (att!cbnews!cbema!shurr or osu-cis!apr!las)
Notice: 'R'eply probably won't reach me - try above addresses, OK?  Thanks.

wrp@biochsn.acc.virginia.edu (William R. Pearson) (01/06/89)