[comp.emacs] diff of binaries

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (05/22/91)

Peter> jpl9k@cbnewsb.att.com (john.p.letourneau) writes:

>Hi, I was wondering if there was something floating out there in source
>land to essentially do a diff -e on an executable file...aka binary.

Peter> 	You could try beav (Binary Editor And Viewer).   Beav is a emacs
Peter> like binary file editor that allows viewing data in many formats; hex,
Peter> decimal, octal, binary, ascii, and ebcdic.   There is a command
Peter> that will compare the data in two windows and position the cursor at the
Peter> first difference found.

hmmm, I bet you also could use GNU Emacs's compare-windows command
plus these, which i haven't tried:

		   Emacs Lisp Code Apropos -- "hex"

hexl-mode	  89-05-24
     Keith Gabryelski, <ag@cbmvax.commodore.com>
     tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/s-is/misc/hexl-mode.el.Z
     Edit a file in a hex dump format.

(/s-is/ --> /as-is/  -DJ)

hex (1.0)	  89-05-29
     andy@ernie.berkeley.edu, <slcpi!treed, treed@shearson.com>
     tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/as-is/misc/hex.Z
     Binary editing mode.

Peter> 	I posted the source to comp.sources.unix two months ago but it
Peter> has not been released by the moderator.   I posted an executable to
Peter> comp.binaries.ibm.pc and it was archived at SIMTEL20.   I posted an
Peter> earlier version to alt.sources.

rampson@flash (Michael T. Rampson) (05/22/91)

Gnu-diff available from prep.ai.mit.edu:/gnu/diff  may do what you want.
 It does have the
capability to diff binary files (you might want to do a diff -ae).

__
The objective of all dedicated employees should be to thoroughly
analyze all situations, anticipate all problems prior to their
occurrence, have answers for these problems, and move swiftly to solve
these problems when called upon.

However, When you are up to your ass in alligators it is difficult to
remind yourself your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

    	    	    	    	    	    rampson@uswat